Senate Republicans threaten to block border security bill they negotiated

This is what I was talking about. This is a golden opportunity for the GOP and Trump is going to sink it. How does his base put up with him selling them out?

The Republicans voting against their own bill is pretty funny.

But I don’t blame those that vote against it. This is a super lame attempt at controlling the border that wouldn’t actually control the border. It’s pretty bad, and it’s also bad that they wanted to pass it fast so that the details didn’t come out.

1 Like

THEY ARE NOT REAL REPUBLICANS THEY WORK FOR THE PEOPLE THAT NORMALLY RUN OUR COUNTRY PUTIN IS TALKING ABOUT…

THE “OWNERS” WILL BE FRONT AND CENTER SOON……

What in it did you have a problem with? Other than Ukraine funding, I don’t think it had a single thing from the Democrat side. It was the most conservative immigration bill in decades.

right, right…Putin, the ex-KGB guy who you pay allegiance to, who’s against the United States.

We definitely have a problem with immigration…we definitely should not have let your bloodline in. Something tells me you’re not the only traitor in it

Didn’t the Republicans come up with the terms?

But not only that, it gives the president powers over the border. Passing this now helps the Republicans when they’re in office later.

It allowed up to 5,000 crossers a day before the border could be shut down. The President did have authority to override, which could be interpreted to mean he can unilaterally say “we’re good” and let more illegals in.

Why allow 5,000 per day? There have been 9 million illegals enter the US since Biden was elected and that’s who we know about. Who knows how many more are here and we have no idea where they are.

Close the border, vet asylum claims in Mexico and don’t allow those to enter the US to be released and then face a court date in 2027 where they likely won’t show.

I know it’s about having the labor force for picking in fields etc, but that’s shortsighted when you consider how many single military aged males are just walking into our country and many of them aren’t here for good reasons.

We need to know who’s coming into the country. It isn’t all poor families fleeing war torn countries.

Didn’t the bill also make it harder to claim asylum? Isn’t that what you want?

Yes, make it harder to claim asylum. That would be a good start.

I thought about that too, but…they aren’t released

https://www.rawstory.com/border-patrol-union-president-fact-checks-fox-news-host-live-on-air/

What the bill did do is change the asylum process, adding heavy vetting measures and not “taking their word for it” anymore. It restricted some of the government’s ability to grant parole to migrants who come through US ports of entry without authorization. It added quite a bit of funding for more border patrol and courts, judges to process the claims quicker, so they don’t have to wait until 2027. It ended “catch and release” policies for migrants waiting their court dates and a return to Migrant Protection Protocols, which forced them to remain south of the border.
I’m not sure what you mean by “close the border.” Which border? Do we take refugees? Do we take H1B1 visas?

Pretty much, it did virtually everything you wants. Again, it included nothing Democrats wanted except funding for Ukraine.

It did. Maybe you should have read more about it

The reality is the Pubs don’t want to pass a bill on immigration. It is one of the top FEAR tactics for them. What would they run on if they passed a bill to slow down immigration. Its all BS. They had their chance to pass something and once again failed. Outside of giving tax cuts to the rich and getting rid of abortion…what do these idiots have to run on. It is truly sad.

Think about this…they didn’t put forth a party platform in 2020.

To the GOP, the platform is to cater to the momentary whims of the would be dictator. That’s it. That’s the entire platform

This is the whole ballgame.

What I don’t understand is how is their base taking this lying down?

People like Indiana should be YELLING to their Congressmen to get them to DO THEIR JOBS.

This bill addresses everything the Republicans have been railing against the last 8 years. It may not fix 100% of the issues, but it addresses them and is a huge head start and precedent toward more.

AND THE DEMS WERE ON BOARD!!!

THERE ARE LAWS IN PLACE TRUMP STOPPED IT….

WHY DID “BIDEN” REMOVE TRUMP’S POLICIES?

WHY CAN’T THERE BE A STAND ALONE BILL FOR OUR BORDER?

WHY DOES OUR COUNTRY THEY SUPPOSEDLY REPRESENT NEED TO DO THING FOR OTHERS TO TAKE CARE OF OUR PEOPLE WITH OUR MONEY?

The GOP refused a standalone bill.

false

a0050751e990afc5bba3e5314e07edb42034f4e2_2_324x500

Agreed, except the GOP works directly for the oligarchs and created the system by which they run the ship.
Trump IS one of the oligarchs

It’s like the pharmaceutical industry…you people spend your time attacking their motives, profits, etc. I applaud that, but then you fight the things that would strip some of those powers away, like universal healthcare. Every other country on the planet nearly has collective bargaining through universal healthcare, and thus get lower drug prices. The GOP has fought every step to strip these oligarchies away.

The financial industry - after the Great Recession, they put together a Consumer Protection Agency, that among other things had the requirement that investment brokers had to have the customer’s benefit in mind when giving investment advice. That’s a pretty minimal thing you’d think we’d need, but the GOP fought to remove every element of that and to protect the banking and investment banking sector.
So, they sicked the DOJ on it

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/how-trump-appointees-curbed-a-consumer-protection-agency-loathed-by-the-gop/2018/12/04/3cb6cd56-de20-11e8-aa33-53bad9a881e8_story.html

This is absolutely a R V D battle. The R in the RVD scenario has spent every moment since the 20s fighting for big business, attacking labor at every opportunity.

Hell, you don’t even know your constituency. Your team are the ones wanting to remove protections for workers like OSHA (A bill starting the process of withdrawing from OSHA awaits governor's signature | WFSU News), weaking labor protections for contractors (Florida Republicans want to ban local labor protection rules for contractors | WUSF), remove child labor laws (‘It’s just crazy’: Republicans attack US child labor laws as violations rise | Iowa | The Guardian), loosen overtime protections (Republicans Have A Plan To Loosen Overtime Protections | HuffPost Latest News), etc.

Time and time again, the GOP fights to protect the business against the labor. Democrats fight for labor, in general.

Your entire grouping directly benefits the uber rich. Hell, Tucker Carlson, who grew up in not 1 but 2 castles, and is married to the heir of the Swanson family fortune, is on record talking about how he lies to protect the bourgeoisie from the plebeians. He hates the left bc his original mother, a cattle baron heiress, left him and cut him out of her will.

Now, a Kennedy is talking about oligarchs? Are you kidding me? I think RFK has been paid by Russians since the early 90s, but hey…just a theory