Official New OC Rumors Thread

Latest is Candle interviewed, not sure if true…would be an interesting hire.

Jason Candle is the rumor du jour … Who Knows?

Supposedly, Mario tried to hire him last year before he settled for Tan Enos.

I would think Miami probably hires someone this week but it could be longer.

I guess Dorsey has no interest? He was interviewing for NFL HC jobs but doesn’t seem to have gotten one.

Long story short, no one in the press seems to know shyt.

Why would he leave an NFL coordinator position?

1 Like

No… Just… No… Guy is a disaster. Everywhere he has been, the O did worse when he arrived, and better after he left. Hard PASS

Dorsey might because it’s his alma mater but some of these other names sound sketch…. I agree

Just saw where Kevin Steele is taking the DC job at Alabama,

Iowa just reconstructed thier OC contract and it has requirements to score at least 25 points per game and to win at least 7 games per year. Miami needs to do something like that. Make those guys earn thier money.

3 Likes

Amazing. All contracts need to go in this direction.

Coaches have tons of protections and buyouts and incentives. It’s only fair to temper these with performance minimums.

At the very least sub-optimal performance should lower the buyout. Wins below 10 should lower at a percentage. 8 wins = 80% buyout. 5 wins = 50% buyout.

I get that coaches won’t be as enticed by contracts like this, but schools need to protect themselves somehow.

1 Like

When reporters don’t know what’s really going on, and they rarely do, they start to make stuff up.

https://www.si.com/college/miami/football/miami-hurricanes-mario-cristobal-air-raid-shannon-dawson-seth-littrell-power-spread-offensive-coordinator

I’d love to see Miami go to a more pass-oriented scheme that still offers some balance. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I think the reason this OC hire is taking so long is because none of Mario’s first picks want the job.

Is there anyone who hasn’t been rumored yet?
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-former-alabama-texas-oc-ex-houston-head-coach-major-applewhite-emerges-as-miami-candidate

Anyone have any thoughts on Major Applewhite?

First, his name lacks diversity.

However, his teams actually score points so that would be a welcome change.

Meh…. If we’re going this tier/route I’d rather go with Ken Dorsey if he’s available and wants to come.

Why not hire Art Briles? Should Briles continue in perpetuity being the Hester Prynne of college football. Is there no redemption for the man? Since leaving Baylor, Briles worked in the Italian football league and coached in a Texas HS. Presently, he’s back in Italy and this year led underdog Florence to the Italian Football championship. He was hired and fired in four days at Grambling.

Trained under Mike Leach, Briles’s has a wonderful reputation for creating great offenses, both rushing and passing offenses. I think the guy deserves a second chance. Briles is a proven commodity. To be sure, Briles would install a winning offense.

You know why already.

1 Like

While Dawson comes from Holgorsen’s branch of the Air Raid tree, his offenses have still featured the running game prominently. In 2021, running back Alton McCaskill nearly cleared the 1,000-yard rushing mark as a freshman and added 16 touchdowns. Four different players rushed for at least 350 yards in 2022 with McCaskill out for the season.

1 Like

This is a joke right? Briles…Good lord man.