Official New OC Rumors Thread

Let the unfounded rumors fly …

1 Like

Let me be the first to bring this up…

I heard Jon Gruden was spotted at Miami Airport this morning…

:wink:

3 Likes

The Rivals page mentions Brian Hartline as an option. Didn’t Ohio State just name him their OC? Why would he come here? They also mention Dorsey, Joe Brady and some others.

Please, no Coley.

2 Likes

BTW… that article has a pretty ‘meh’ to bad list… None of those really impressed me. :person_shrugging:

If I had to make a betting line I’d make Arroyo the favorite

No info at all.

1 Like

I agree. Purely speculation of course but this guy would seem to be the favorite …

He has a good background as a QB Coach and OC.

Surprising that UNLV fired him for going 5-7 given they were winless when he took over 2 years prior.

Not sure who else is even interested but Arroyo would seem to be a good choice.

1 Like

Apparently, Dan Mullen is the new Jon Gruden.

100% correct. I’d say very likely.

There are obviously better choices but its acceptable and makes a lot of sense.

2017: 18th in PPG
2018: 25th in PPG
2019: 16th in PPG

Granted, that was with Herbert and some would argue with that talent and the surrounding talent in the Pac-12 the stats should have actually been better. Folks also say his scheme is nothing special, he asks Athletes to out-athlete which was a bit of Miami’s problem this year TBH. Alternatively, he’s proven for Mario and Mario is frankly on a knife edge with this hire - CANNOT get it wrong. He recruits well etc.

Personally I’d like to see someone else but ultimately this needs to be a hit hire and Arroyo seems to have a safety component to it that might be right.

1 Like

I’m expecting a coach that has many years under his belt calling plays and he was clearly the play caller. Likely a former head coach as well. I’m not sure Mullen would fit with Mario. I wouldn’t believe most sources right now.

I’d take him in a heart beat.

I’ve read Arroyo as well. Makse sense given his time at Oregon with MC. Arroyo didn’t do well as a head coach at UNLV.

Has anyone done well at unlv outside of tark?

1 Like

STORM IS EXPECTING A GUY THAT IS A

1. RECRUITER
  2. RECRUITER
  3. RECRUITER

BECAUSE WHEN YOU ARE BUILDING A CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER THAT IS HOW YOU DO IT BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE….

GIVE ME A GUY THAT RECRUITS QBS……

No thanks…Cristobal/a few others on staff/Strong UM Nil. Takes care of recruiting. No real value added by additional recruiters. Recruiting DECENT for new guy… Nice teacher/able to get along with his QB? Sure…Need to be an ace recruiter? Not at all. Get someone who can coordinate an offense please for the love of god.

But yes your last sentence. IDENTIFY and land QBs. That’s fair. But do not sacrifice a real OC for a James Coley

Coley could be a WR coach given he is an ace recruiter.

Gattis’ replacement should be the OC/QB Coach.

Mullen, Brady, Candle et al seem doubtful to me.

Arroyo doesn’t have a job at present and he did well as Mario’s OC at Oregon so he seems much more likely. We’ll see.

I expect the new OC to be hired this week.

Now I may completely off here but this is my thinking.
We are Miami. To me that means players want to ball out. WRs want to ball out. Go deep and air it out. Kids want to showoff what they can do. So we need a coach that can showoff these kids and to me that is not ground and pound. Need to air it out. I am sure these high profile kids want to earn thier NIL money but what kid doesnt want to be on a highlight reel. That could bring even more money.
Again just my thinking as I sit up here freezing my a$$ off here in Nebraska and I could be completely wrong with brain freeze.

I feel that is what has got us in trouble for the past 20 years. Pandering to the selfish SoFlo kids.

Let’s recruit nationally and get a team that can dominate up front a chew clock so when we play UGA and Bama we are not getting boat raced like TCU.

1 Like

Mario did well in the trenches except DT which is a concern. There is a chance the 6’7 270lb DE adds 30-40lbs and ends up a 3T but that still leaves NT missing. Maybe Horton is that NT type but I’d like to see 1 more DT per class.

My only counter point, TN, TCU, USC all run an air raid variant and all made massive improvements quickly. Bama for all the talent has reverted to more of a prostyle offense this year causing them to drop games they shouldn’t have. The cfb world is about the spread and the sooner we get on board with it the better chance we will have at making the CFP.

Furthermore, watching Miami run a prostyle offense that scores 19ppg is boring. I would much rather watch Miami score 42 going 5-7 than 19! At least when you score 42, you know you have a chance to win IF you can stop the other team. With the bro style offense, we our D stopped teams enough and our O just couldn’t do shit!

WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THESE TEAMS?

THEY GOT RUN OVER BY POWER TEAMS….

UGA WIPED THE FLOOR WITH THEM AND UTAH BEAT USC TWICE NO?

BAMA HAS BEEN PLAYING A STRAIGHT SPREAD OR A POWER SPREAD?

MARIO WANTS TO PLAY A POWER SPREAD….

MICHIGAN’S QB TURN THE BALL OVER OR THEY WOULD HAVE SMASHED TCU……

TELL US WHAT HAS BEEN WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS BECAUSE A USC, UT SEASON GETS A COACH FIRED AT MIAMI……