Next year qb

Did you just say your boy Emory is awful?

Yep. He’s awful. Slow afoot. No threat to rush the football. Has had numerous passes batted down. Wanted to like him; he’s a hometown kid. Don’t see Emory developing even into an average QB.

He’s a bitch! Good riddance. Finish it out with Western Tennessee.

Some team might do okay with TVD. He’s good when he’s good.

But he also singlehandedly ruined our season. You just don’t get another chance after crapping the bed that hard. This year was TVD’s fault, next year would have been Mario’s.

1 Like

So who is qb for bowl game? Or can tvd play it?

You want a shot? Maybe I can pull some strings.

So, Brown is the starting QB now. I assume TVD won’t play in the bowl game.

Brown has some talent. Will be interesting to see what he can do. The rest of the QB’s on the roster are non-scholarship/walk ons?

I think TVD is making a mistake leaving.

Looks like Brown to the portal after the bowl game. He’s “committed to playing in the bowl game” per Miami.

Shit I don’t know if you can’t split a hair any thinner than that!

Great- so next year we have Emory Williams, Aristides Angelo Jr, Riply Luna, Joe Borchers, Jayden George.

Murderers row right there. 12-0 next season baby!

I’m surprised Brown is leaving. WIth TVD out, the starting job is up for grabs. If he plays well in the bowl game, he may become the presumptive starter next season unless Miami scores a really good transfer QB or two. He runs great, the question marks are his accuracy and decision making.

I’m not as death on Emerson as some. He played fairly well, not great but good. In fairness to him, he should have never seen the field this season but was forced into service because TVD was injured and/or playing badly. At least, unlike TVD, Emerson didn’t make many mistakes. He could turn into another Dorsey; a QB who won’t impress you with a big arm and great running ability but a competent QB who doesn’t make unforced errors.

Actually, we could win with Brown. He’s the only QB we have that actually can rush the football. With Brown, you limit pass plays to outs, slants screens, shuffles, and button hooks. To be sure, TEs would be slanting across the middle. But the biggest factor in winning with Brown would be in developing deception with a two back backfield, finding a FB who could presently be a lineman, capable of blocking, but with good hands. Emphasis would be on winning plays on FIRST down, not getting behind on the count and having so damn many third downs. The last thing UM needs is another slow, plodding QB even if the guy has a great arm. Van Dyke had good arm, but he was slow, didn’t elude tacklers well, and released passes too slowly. Using Brown, most of his passes would be released in seconds, plays in which he will NEVER be sacked. IMO, Miami needs to perfect rushing the football before it ever considers putting the ball in the air. When we start fooling people with our deception, ripping off five or more yards on rushing plays, the passing game will follow suit and be progressively more successful. How many shitty long passes did we complete this year? When you fail on the long throw aways, you can bet your ass you’ll soon be in third and long. Football is a game of probability. Throwing a long pass when first down is achievable with just a one yard gain is smart football. Trying to surprise opposition on first down requires GREAT skill which we don’t have, and the result is you guessed it, another long 3rd down possession challenge, likely a failure and loss of possession.

The most underrated skilled guy on the Hurricane offense is Brashard Smith. If this guy leaves in the portal, he’ll be a star at a school smart enough to give him more touches. Chaney could have been way more productive had we had more motion in our offense and gave a rat’s ass about ball handling and deception,. Lastly, we are idiots when in the red zone. I hate one back offenses in the red zone. No where should the physicality of a team be more apparent than in the red zone., How many failed third downs did we endure this year in the red zone, settling for field goals when they should have been TDs.,

Way too early to early to write off Emory Williams…

The most underrated skilled guy on the Hurricane offense is Brashard Smith.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I think if Restrepo stays, B.Smith will portal out. I think there’s only a small chance both are on the roster next year. Just a gut feeling.

Chaney could have been way more productive

Ehhh…I’m a big Chaney fan and would have liked him to stay for his 7-10 carries. Unfortunately the 2023 Chaney was not the frosh Chaney. The burst and tough inside running is there, but he is made of glass and that leads to him not always being available and I swear you can see the limp on the field. The vision has always been ehhh ok, nothing great…But now the top end is a little slower and the change of direction just isn’t there.

He’s basically a less durable frosh (let’s hope Fletcher stays durable because he is basically D.herny out there taking hits) with worse feet and not quite as powerful breaking tackles…

Wish him well, he will help someone this year. The initial 7-8 yard burst thru the hole is still there and I’ll never forget how he ran his ass off vs. FSU/Clemson, 2 of the 3 toughest defenses we faced all year.

Lol nah…None of those will be our QB next year.

You’re smart enough to know that was my point.

Lol…Sorry, sarcasm detector is completely broken on these canes boards nowadays, because used to dealing with idiots…Happened to me on CIS the other day too lol.

1 Like

Nebraska coach Rhule says in espn article that a good qb in portal runs 1.5 to 2 million dollars.

The money angle is a good reason for optimism in Miami, btw.

It’s the first time in forever that we’ve have a legit booster involved in the program.

I guess we had a famous one that Shannon butted heads with and got the program in trouble. Then again players getting paid is more and more legal now. That’s yet another positive for a team that the NCAA loves to sanction.

I’d rather have Smith than Restrepo. They are both talented but Smith is much more talented rushing the football. I’d have played Smith as an RB not as a flanker. No doubt about having the speed to turn the corner.

As for Emory, you cannot teach foot speed, and he doesn’t have it; he looks clumsy to me. When you play one back offense without a mobile QB, your playbook is seriously limited. Cases in point are the QBs at LSU and FSU. These two guys with their feet converted a lot of challenging third downs this season.

All in all, I am disgusted with the QB coaching at UM. Our offense never looks poised. Jacurri is enough of athlete that he should have improved as a college QB. Teach this kid how to hide the ball and successfully throw the short stuff, put players in motion, and you should expect a methodical offense. If I were a defensive player playing against UM, I’d appreciate looking always at the same backfield alignment, never being confused by players, multiple players shifting and going in motion. As a LB, I wouldn’t worry about TEs catching any balls.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. If your uncle had a vagina, he’d be your aunt. Dawson blows as an offensive coordinator. There’s no confusion on the other side of the ball. Guidry is the real deal which was apparent by watching this year’s defense. Lashlee was the real deal. Dawson was about as successful as an OC as Emory Williams as a QB. Emory played us to a victory over Clemson; regard the win as every dog having his day.

Not really digging the whole college football is now pro football thing. IMHO college football should be for student athletes and the NFL should have a minor league program like MLB for kids who want to be pros. Coaching must be a nightmare now.

1 Like

While I agree with you, the trouble started with all the coaching salary inflation and superstar facilities. At that point it’s only fair it trickles down to the players.