Next year qb

Does anyone think Miami should bring in a new qb to play as starter next year. I dont think TVD is the answer and I dont think any of the others are ready. Hit the portal with some NIL money for someone with game experience. A duel threat qb. Or am I completely wrong.

1 Like

Pratt from Tulane will be one of the most coveted. I’d love to have him.

I’ve seen enough of Van Dyke to know that he is not the guy. He’s one dimensional. He stares down his first read. The check down is almost non existent. And he’s just not a mentally tough kid.

Emory- don’t like him. Doesn’t scream anything special off the film. Limited range. Has similar deficiencies as Van Dyke about staring down and always going X. Once teams get enough film on him it’ll be the same as Van Dyke out there.

Haven’t seen enough of Brown to comment but he’s the only one with the ability to escape and run…. At this point let him finish out and let’s see what he can do.

This team needs a legit qb option. We have a bunch of meh’s.

Next year gonna be risky. I imagine we get a game-ready QB out of the portal BUT our room is gonna look like:

1. Portal Starter that is “good” (not very good/great)
  2. Portal backup that is nothing special
  3. Emory coming off injury and really needing 2y development
  4. True frosh Judd Anderson needing 2y development
  5. MAYBE sneak in a top20 QB recruit flip

Just one injury away from falling apart. Ideally would portal another who is 1y away from starting and unhappy at their current spot but that is gonna be tough to find.

I fully expect Brown is already gone – the only thing that makes sense is if he’s already got a portal destination lined up (mutual separation) and doesn’t want to risk injury.

Restrepo will be very sad to see TVD go. No other QB will lock eyes with him as often.
The ultimate college football bromance will end.

I won’t be surprised if TVD transfers to SMU, UConn or some such place.

Miami has to be attempting to lure the best transfer QB available. A really good QB is worth another 2+ wins/season easily. No reason Miami can’t land a good QB.

TVD was initially a Richt recruit and was eventually signed by Diaz/Enos. That seems like a million years ago now. Time to move on.

Emerson may evolve into a good QB. He was thrown to the wolves this season because TVD imploded. At least he doesn’t throw the ball to the wrong team.

I doubt Brown will be a long term starter at Miami. He may be an adequate backup though.

A new QB is needed. TVD is not the guy

2 Likes

Highly doubt TVD is back…I do think there’s a better chance than I thought 2 weeks ago, but still doubt t it.

I doubt Brown will be a starter at Miami. He may be an adequate backup though.
Brown’s gone.

Yea well he better be transferring because he’s not a Pro.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up a pro

His Chuck Knoblach out of the blue this year was very puzzling. But yes my guess is he will transfer.

I think Miami is in an excellent position to sign a first rate QB. Our QB room is so poor that anyone with a shred of talent almost automatically will be named a starter. It is also obvious that Miami is a tough, physical team on it way upward. With the lure of beautiful Miami, given the enhanced personnel comprising our next year’s team and generous NIL payment, we should get a good one. I hope the hell we get one who is elusive, unlike the slow, plodding guys we now have who are sack-easy targets. I don’t want a pro-type QB. I want someone rabbit quick with a good arm and a big heart.

I wouldn’t either.

TVD would obviously have benefited from stability in the OC position. He was once great, almost unstoppable even, and was probably our best QB in 2 decades in his best year.

Injuries and coaching changes have screwed with his head, but he is still built like a pro quarterback.

Ya it’s hard to pinpoint…

The things you mentioned didn’t help, but some on him, some inexplicable.

I’ve seen dropping 8 into coverage make things difficult on even Mahomes at times…But how much is on Dawson’s offense not having an answer for this, how much will TVD just never do well against it? I’d type more, but it’s just depressing lol.

IF TVD stays and IF TVD gets his head on straight then it’s a win for us. IF that plays out this way then I think Brown leaves, Emory stays and we bring in a portal guy and/or another QB recruit.

IF TVD leaves then I see it being Emory or some portal guy as our starter.

I think Emory is awful. TVD has never recovered from Lashlee being gone. We need new blood in QB room. No more slow, plodding QBs. We need some mobile and hostile players under center.

In fairness to TVD, he has been dealing with nagging injuries for much of the season.

The injuries must have affected his eyesight because he keeps throwing the ball to the wrong team.

Forcing throws, making bad choices and locking on his primary is on TVD not the coaches.

He might make an NFL roster on a practice squad for a year or two. But, I don’t see him making it as a pro. He is not better than Kaaya or Morris and neither of them were successful in the NFL. Plus, he is apparently injury prone. He might sign as a UFA somewhere and either be cut in training camp or assigned to a practice squad if he is lucky, .

Will Rogers is in portal. Would he be a good fit?

Did you just say your boy Emory is awful?

We need 4 new QBs minimum.
Emory

Plus
Judd
Portal sophomore
Portal senior
Portal or Bailey from HS

I don’t understand trashing Emory yet. He started 2 games, both against good teams, and had us in a position to win both. He’s not flashy or impressive, sure, but he’s young and needs a lot of work.

1 Like