May as well get a running Portal list going

I expect somewhere between ehhh 17-30 kids to hit the portal.

A. It’s happening everywhere.
B. Believe it or not we have some talented young players that others are gonna sit behind.
C. It happens most often with a coaching change.
D. I’d guess It’s going to happen somewhere between 30 and 50% more with this particular coaching change. Diaz and Cristobal ARE REALLY JUST POLAR OPPOSITES…That’s why the culture shock is so bad right now and a lot of that is leaking into game prep, reaction to losing, quitting when down, etc… So feel free to contribute and then as we get a couple weeks into it we’ll add em all back to the first post for a list…

RB Knighton
RB Franklin
WR K.Smith
WR Brinson
OL Campbell
DE Roberts
DT D.Jackson
DT Miller
DT Haye
LB Huff
S/LB Frierson
DB Harrell
S A. Will
S K. Washington
DB Blades
CB Dunson

1 Like

WR Keyshawn Smith- Had his moments. Straight line speed but not much else. Productive player

DE Elijah Roberts- this kinda hurts, he flashes and I still expected him to end up a player after he fought off injuries early in his career. There is still that chance that his best position is more of a 3-4 down end or a 4-3 3 tech. Even being a little of a tweeter I think he could have had 2 strong years in the top 8 of our rotation in 23-24. He just so happens to play 1 of the 2-3 positions on this team worth a damn and actually good players in front of him. Hopefully there are more Jalen Harrells and less Elijah Roberts in the coming weeks.

DT Allen Haye- No idea how we was progressing…Out of HS I thought he was a decent take. We are probably hitting portal for another DT (probably a 2nd run stopper ) to go with our excellent top returning 3. (returning 4 if Miller returns for his free covid year)

Is Mario and Gattis eligible for the portal? Asking for a friend.

1 Like

Lol…I think Cristobal will succeed here

Whether or not it’s to the level we want, I don’t know…

There is basically no predictive value in bad year 1s and only some in good year 1s…So we shall see.

1 Like

I hope you’re right Skeeter. I want to enjoy the canes in my last couple of decades.

I agree with the high portal numbers. The more the better.

1 Like

Franklin as well…don’t think Frierson really matters.

2 Likes

Yup forgot those two

When they said Frierson I couldn’t believe he still had eligibility lol

1 Like

Zero chance it is only 17. My low end would be 24. Yeah, 24 kids will portal out or retire from football. We know of 5 but mid season there were others that said they were leaving but kept playing: aw15, 4. Then you have brinson who is actively negative recruiting.

O-
4-OL:71,72,76,79
3- WR: smith, brinson, Redding
1- TE: wouldn’t shock me to see any of the four
2-QB: matocha, Garcia/TVD
1-RB: Franklin
11 on O
D-
4-db: Rodgers, blades, Gil,Dunson would be my guess
3-lb: Flagg(I wish), huff, Ragone
5-dl: Haye, Roberts, Davis, Ishmael, Miller
12 on D
Plus Ts2 and Nelson to the NFL gets us to 25

84 as of today
10 seniors
25 departures
36 new kids

I don’t understand the Khamuri Rodgers noise; isn’t he the one recovering from a knee injury from last year?

I don’t see Ishmael going anywhere for two reasons: his dad is still on staff (I think so, right?) and Jabari doesn’t seem like a kid overly concerned with being a 5 year role player/bench warmer.

I’m surprised Elijah Roberts made it this far to be honest. He was easily one of the laziest kids I’ve ever seen at the high school level. I’m sure from Spring to this Fall Feld, Big Joe, and Cristobal pulled that kid by the nose just to be able to put on some decent weight. Roberts isn’t a big loss at all.

Romello Brinson - if he is in fact negatively recruiting against Miami - should be put on blast by his teammates who he is also trashing. Brinson should be removed from the program, his locker cleaned out, and his Miami housing lock changed.

The more these losers leave the better the program will be; the same for some of the coaches like Gattis, Addae, and Ponce. Kevin Smith is on the clock if he doesn’t lock in at least 1 functional RB recruit this class.

I would agree it’s probably more than 17. There are also covid year guys that I would be shocked if return, so basically I’m not counting Frierson, Ragone in my 17.

Agree with most of those possibilities

OL: Washington, at least one of Seymore/R-Rod, ehhh maybe Mcloughlin, Sapolu (I know he is a Cristobal guy, but I don’t think he’s starter material (Is Griffith on scholly??). I also believe there will be 0-1 of Campbell and Nelson on the team next year, hopefully 1. Just a gut feeling.

WR: With Smith already going, but I’d say 1 more and possibly 2 (Brinson most likely, Redding, hell even George or B.Smith may want to try their luck elsewhere)

TE: 0-1…I don’t think Brantley or Skinner leave.

QB: Garcia for sure…I hope to god TVD stays but one of TVD/Matocha

RB: I would be mildly surprised if Knighton/Chaney are both on the squad next year, with #4 being more likely to leave. But again just a feeling…

DT Haye…No idea on Miller, he’s been her a while…I’d think he’s the only possibility unless JHH doesn’t want to be a 3rd DT (He’s a good 3rd DT who could be top 2 for at least 80% of teams imo)

DE One top of ER…I’d say 1 more. Hopefully Mesidor stays…Harvey maybe tries to become late pick? (long shot)…If they both stay, I’d expect C.Williams to go, Davis is most likely, Ishmael a possibility

LB: Huff for sure. I can’t see Flagg leaving even if/when they bring in someone to replace him…Could see ny of the rest not named Bissainthe leaving. If I had to guess one of the Smiths leave, more likely Chase, but I’d be glad if he stays… not counting Ragone, no idea there. F

CB: Have to believe Dunson gone. I’d say definitely 1, and possibly 2 of Rogers, Spencer, Curtis

S: I think A.Will is gone…Harrell was rumored gone last year, can’t see him on the team next year. And I think K.Wash/Balom are both 50/50.

So not counting Griffith, Ragone, and the 5 who left already…My best guess/safe bet is …We lose

2 QB (or 1)
1 RB (or 0)
2 WR (or 1)
1 TE (or 0)
3 OL (up to 5)

1 DT (or 0)
2 DE (or 1, o r 3)
2 LB (or 1)
2 CB (or 3)
3 S (or 2)

So that’s 19 additional…Again just speculating, but we are close. I could definitely see more OL

As for bringing in…Going by those numbers…I see us adding via portal (obvious depends on the fluctuations those number and what we bring in HS)

P- (1 unless it’s Hutchinson’s job)
RB -1 (or 2)
WR 1 (or 2)
OL 1 (or up to 3)

DT 1
DE 1 (or 2)
LB 1 (or up to 3)
DB 2 (up to 4 includes all types nickels, safeties, corners)

I kinda get this vibe too…He’s a maybe/probably not if I had to call it.

Romello Brinson - if he is in fact negatively recruiting against Miami - should be put on blast by his teammates who he is also trashing. Brinson should be removed from the program, his locker cleaned out, and his Miami housing lock changed.

I concur.

I don’t understand the Khamuri Rodgers noise; isn’t he the one recovering from a knee injury from last year?

Parents riffing on social media with Addae…The brattiness of the world is embarrassing today)

1 Like

Rodgers dad was one of the parents that attacked the staff on social media when he didn’t get to play against GT. Mario’s response was pretty clear: if you don’t like it pick your kid up.

Ishmael’s uncle I believe works for Miami. He may stay but I could also see Mario letting him know that he isn’t going to play and he has had medical issues (neck I believe).

Roberts- I like the kid but he is a SDE in a 3-4 without the skills and strength. He is behind Mesidor for a reason and if Mario is going to keep upgrading the roster this is the type of kid that gets replaced.

Brinson- the staff and players are aware which is why I don’t think he traveled to Clemson.

Gattis is GONE. Addae is likely gone with an outside chance of Miami landing one of the best ever to replace him. Ponce is likely gone because the new OC will want some staff spots for “friends” that know the system. I’d also expect one of the other offensive staff to get replaced and Smith would be the worst recruiter IMO.

I don’t check every rumor (about 20-30% lol)…Is this pretty much a done deal 90s?

1 Like

I get that, but that’s what I don’t understand. As a parent, what is there to complain about when your son is recovering from an ACL injury? Taking a year to rehab, learn, and develop is much more productive than sending the kid out against Ga. Tech or Clemson just to get rag dolled and abused while limping around on a recovering knee.

Regarding your latest response to 90s, I definitely see Rodriguez leaving (Mirabel and Cristobal did not recruit the kid from Columbus). During Rodriguez’s recruitment, Mirabel was at a Columbus practice and someone asked him if he was there to see Rodriguez and Mirabel said Ryan wasn’t up to their standards for OL (size mostly).

I can see Seymore leave too; the kid is fat and short. Not a great combo for the OL.

Wasn’t Washington a kid that Mirabel was praising during the Spring or Fall? Big kid who is only in his 2nd year. I can see him sticking around as a depth piece and eventual 6th OL his 4th and 5th years.

1 Like

George is all in on Mario. B Smith was upset with Gattis and posted something on Twitter after Clemson. That likely doesn’t sit well with Mario so I’d guess B Smith is another option. Personally, B Smith is our most explosive WR yet has been limited for whatever reason.

No that was Mclaughlin I believe, Silent…

Washington only stays if he wants his degree and is happy with a ceiling of the 11th OL.

During Rodriguez’s recruitment, Mirabel was at a Columbus practice and someone asked him if he was there to see Rodriguez and Mirabel said Ryan wasn’t up to their standards for OL (size mostly).

Interesting tidbit, tx

2 Likes

I want both on the team…And glad to hear that on George. Good stuff.

I think I saw the B.Smith tweet, it was just a “like” right? But still…What a circus with these brats.

We will know in the next week. My connections have said he is gone and Mario has had conversations with replacements.

3 Likes

It was a “.” which normally is a confirmation of a tweet. It just happened to be a week or two after Gattis said he needed to get B Smith more involved then didn’t with Clemson.