Gattis OC

Not officially official yet but would seem like a great hire. Must have offered him a truckload to leave AA. He just won the Broyles Award as the nation’s top assistant coach.

Played Safety at Wake, had a season or two in the League.

Started his coaching career under Butch at UNC. Coached under Franklin at Vandy and Pedo State for six seasons. Under Saban for a season at Bama and under Harbaugh the last few years.

His offense is a no huddle, spread scheme that utilizes the RPO. Apparently, he is not too fond of bubble screens which is a real shame.

I assume he is good recruiter as well.

trying to think of things to criticize about this hire, but i’m struggling. i guess you can say he doesn’t throw it as much as Lashlee, but his playcalling is definitely more balanced with wrinkles often thrown in to keep the D on their toes. seems to be a really good WR recruiter also which is a plus specifically for this 2023 class.

B+ (not including recruiting)…

Could never tell if he was meshing or bucking with Harbaugh. But it came together this year. Used TE, 2 RB on field at same time, hell even 2 QB…And WR#1 went down in 1h of game 1, out for year. So I wouldn’t argue with a higher grade.

Good job by CMC though

I wonder if Gattis will coach WR as well or just OC…At Mich he did both…But at Mich I’m sure Harbaugh had quite a bit of input on the offensive gameplay.

i saw he is coaching WRs as well

Probably bringing on a qb coach?

Definitely will need to bring in a qb coach.

Solid hire, just got to get our O line doing their job now!!

I hope so. Where’d you see that?

Not specific to Gattis but it worries me that this signals Mario is going to put his fingers in the offense. A pass happy hire would signal Mario was going to be hands off and let the OC do his thing.

1 Like

That’s a deal breaker right there… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Only one more item on my list to check. My signature has been on fire.

Anyone have any insight into what his pay is? There’s a story tonight that Gattis was given NO consideration for the head coaching job at Michigan should Jim Harbaugh have left for the Vikings job. Feeling unappreciated, he decides to bolt. I’m wondering if it’s for similar money or if that even matters when feeling unappreciated?

I know nothing about Gattis. I watched zero Michigan football over the last 2-3 years.

I’m assuming we like the guy?

What does he run?

Do we have the appropriate personnel for his style? I’d have to assume we do or close enough.

Can he recruit?

He is a run-first guy. Last year, Michigan was 59% run, 41% pass.

At first blush, I would say Miami does not have the right personnel for it.

Frankly, I am puzzled by this hire. It kinda pisses me off that it took CMC all this time to make the OC hire, missed two signing days, and this is what he came up with.

Hopefully CMC and Gattis prove me wrong. That is some crow I would be more than happy to chow down.

On his wikipedia. Not that it makes it official, but he’s held WR duties in his last 5 stops as well.

The year before they threw more than they ran. He is a WR coach, so passing is something he should like to do, but the QBs he had at UMi were not very good, while that RB was an absolute tank. He runs an uptempo no-huddle spread system.

I am excited to see what he is able to do with the skill players UM has, plus with TVD. I would expect Miami to be very balanced if the run game can be productive unlike last year.

The run blocking needs to get significantly better for us to increase the run percentages.

Which I expect CMC to handle.

I’m intrigued by the hire in the sense that the experience is there. Let’s see what he comes up with.