Canebill passed away this morning…

There are indeed a lot of quality posters that have been here a long time. And MF was a good one as well.

Things change for people as time moves along. I post here far more than I actually watch games at this stage in my life. And I don’t even post a lot lol. When I was younger I was a sports fanatic, playing and watching.

I’m sure everyone has their reasons for coming and going…

I’m gutted to hear this. Canebill was always nice to me and we never bumped heads. God rest his soul and my thoughts are with his family.

1 Like

IT WAS HARD AS FUCK TO TYPE IT BUT FELT ALL YOU GUYS SHOULD KNOW….

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear Laus’ family at least got something back. Laus was the guy that got me to sign up to shadows board…I was completely floored when I heard he died. That was a gut punch

2 Likes

Can someone please message me Cane Bill’s obit if there is one? He was a prolific poster on the old board. I feel like I knew the guy, even though I didn’t. I’d like to learn more about him, he seemed like an interesting guy. Thanks.

A shame about Laus. He predates me on the old board as I didn’t start posting until Golden was hired so around 2010. I guess there is no such thing as “routine surgery.” I had a cousin who had optional surgery at Temple, she contracted a post-op infection and died from it. Wasn’t all that old either.

1 Like

I second Mad Stork’s comment. I’d like to see the obit. Canebill was a great guy.

Super bright and always passionate about the Canes. He’ll be missed.

1 Like

William “Bill” A. Garcia

August 30, 1952 - December 17, 2023

William “Bill” A. Garcia, 71, of Simpsonville, SC passed away peacefully surrounded by his family on Sunday, December 17, 2023 after a courageous battle with cancer. He is survived by his wife of 46 years, Millie Garcia, his daughters, Katherine Garcia and Cristina Cameron, son-in-law James Cameron, and his three grandchildren, Elizabeth Lucia, Emily Rebecca, and Ian William.

He was born in Cienfuegos, Las Villas, Cuba, on August 30, 1952, to the late William Angel Garcia and Marta Mesa Garcia. He emigrated with his parents to the United States in February 1961 at the age of 8 years old as an exile of the Cuban Revolution. He was coined the nickname “Wilito” (little William) by his parents and extended family. As a child, he entertained himself by reading and watching old movies and TV shows. His passion grew with him into adulthood and led him to create his collection of books and movies which has amassed to over 20,0000 books and a substantial repertoire of film genres and titles. His favorite genre was “Westerns” and he created his own rating system which he aspired to publish and share with the world. He loved to share his love of books and movies with his daughters and grandchildren.

Bill graduated from Coral Gables High School where he joined the debate team and won awards in competitions. His love of discourse developed into adulthood as a hallmark of his personality, and can be attested to by his many friends and family who have joined him in discussions and witnessed his extensive knowledge of history, literature, and political philosophy. His life view was shaped by his experience of fleeing communist Cuba and becoming a proud American citizen. Bill earned a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Florida Atlantic University and his CPA license. He had a long career in corporate tax, most notably having worked at Ryder System, Inc., and later at Mastercard’s Latin American division in Miami. He garnered lifelong friendships with many of his colleagues. After retirement, Bill and Millie moved to Greenville, SC in 2015, in anticipation of the arrival of their first grandchild.

Bill dedicated most of his retirement to teaching his grandchildren to read, always encouraging them to ask questions and think more deeply. He was involved with OLLI at Furman University, where he took classes for retirees and made wonderful friends in recent years. He was planning to teach a course on Abraham Lincoln this semester. Bill was an avid sports fan of the Miami Hurricanes football and basketball teams, the Miami Heat, the Boston Red Sox, the Miami Marlins, and the Miami Dolphins. In his youth, he loved to play volleyball and basketball; in recent years he taught basketball to his grandchildren.

Though an only child, he had a considerable number of first cousins, aunts and uncles whom he loved dearly and often visited. He loved to share memories with them, and hear stories from his elders about their life in Cuba. At the time of his death, he was in the process of putting together a family photo gallery. He enjoyed traveling, especially to National Parks and historic landmarks. His next trips were to be to Disney with his grandchildren, to visit his familial roots in Spain and a river cruise on the Danube to bring to life his love and knowledge of European history.

The funeral service will be held Thursday, December 28, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. at Thomas McAfee Funeral Homes, Southeast followed by a time of visitation.

Friends are encouraged to share their favorite memories of William with the family by clicking on the button labeled “Leave A Message, Share A Memory” below.

To send flowers to the family or place a tree in memory of William “Bill” A. Garcia, please visit our Tribute Store.

5 Likes

Thanks !

His love of discourse developed into adulthood as a hallmark of his personality, and can be attested to by his many friends and family…Heh… I think we can all confirm that.

When arguing with Canebill you’d better have a thick skin and some facts in your back pocket.

3 Likes

I told MFcanes.

1 Like

I believe MF Canes went off to start his own Miami based website/board. If memory serves it was called “All About The U”. I lurked there for awhile, think it got bought out or something. I believe MF was an Indian fellow, can’t recall his real name either. Memory ain’t what it used to be. Smart guy but like so many he wanted to build his own better mouse trap. Which results in a dilution of opinions in any central location. Which eventually leads to staleness and death of a given website/board. You need people in every “life cycle” of fandom to keep things afloat.

MFCanes is @Geoffvogt16 on Twitter. I don’t know about the Miami Hurricanes site.

He does not run a Miami site m.

1 Like

Mfcanes name is Jeff Vogt. He’s not Indian. I think you have him confused with another Miami poster. I remember who you’re referring to but I can’t remember his handle for the life of me.

Correct. Although I think it is Geoff Vogt

1 Like

Now that I think of it i think it was miamihurricanes03 or miamicanes03 I think.

I think you are right, miamihurricanes03. Had them confused.

Canebill will be missed. I found out about Bill’s passing on CIS. Haven’t been here in a long while, it’s nice to see all these names-like family.

3 Likes

Also learned about Canebill’s passing on CIS. He was a legend around Shadow’s board. Thanks for sharing the obituary.

I got a good laugh when I read he was on the debate team in high school. I bet he dominated that competition.

2 Likes

I remember that guy. His handle was miamihurricanes03 on Shadow’s board.

He started Sebastian’s Pub. This is his twitter: https://twitter.com/vrp2003

NICE TO SEE YOU TWO COME BACK AND POST FOR BILLY…

DIAPER FACE CATFISHY DID WHAT HE DOES……

THAT IS WHY HE IS CATFISHY…….

HE SWIMS HIS ASS TO THE BOTTOM……

KARMA IS A BITCH……

CAN YOU LINK?

COULDN’T FIND IT……