Brian Flores Retiring From Coaching

Said Flores, “I’ve decided that I never want to work again. Also, my butt is killing me.”

Despite how dumb and immoral it is, we are heading towards racial quotas. We are literally moving backwards as a civilized society.

3 Likes

I guess I don’t get it. The Rooney rule literally demands that you interview someone that isn’t on your short list. Then it’s a problem when that interview isn’t taken seriously? I’ve been on Flores end and yeah it kinda sucks (internal hire but they’re required to perform an external interview) but at the end of the day it’s experience.

The pay-to-lose scheme though…that might cost someone their franchise. I feel bad for Flores with the untenable situation Ross put him in — do shady shit or get the “difficult to work with” brand. Maybe a Ross thumbs down is a good thing in some circles. Hope so at least.

If true, the Dolphins should be in hot water. In truth, Ross needs to go. He’s been making terrible decisions for the Dolphins forever.

2 Likes

If this ends up being true this is bad.

3 Likes

I think this might end up being bigger than many realize. The Dolphins stuff is damning but not unexpected… Ross is a snake in the grass and I hope this costs him the team.

2 Likes

It’s merely an allegation which I doubt he can prove.

Like reporters, plaintiffs, defendants and their lawyers make shyt up all the time during civil suits.

However, Goodell is such a pussy and an idiot, I can see the NFL handing Flores a few million to settle regardless how weak the case is.

I suppose the question is, were actual $100k bonuses paid out per loss? Because a money trail is very provable.

Owners of a business deserve to make the ultimate decision regarding personnel. However, when your talent measured by competition is comprised of African-Americans, 70% of players, it raises the specter of fairness in hiring and promotion of coaches. It is plainly bad business practice not to have concern about such a stark racial imbalance in head coaching positions.

The allegation of paying Flores to lose games is ghastly. If there is evidence that this occurred, the team owner should be forced to relinquish ownership.

Flores has a decent resume of experience. His last two seasons the Dolphins have produced winning records. There are a host of players who adamantly support his expertise in coaching. His firing is somewhat surprising. I think perhaps the ownership of the Dolphins and NY Giants is highly questionable. Moreover, in the case of the Dolphins, Flores has won without a successful QB. Tua’s play has been largely unsuccesful.

The reaction of owners to his lawsuit that it is without merit, I think is both callous and insufficient. I believe the lawsuit will rise to being a class action suit.

Quotas are presently against the law. Affirmative action may be halted completely by the Supreme Court this term in the Harvard and UNC Admissions cases wherein the plaintiffs are a class of Asian Americans. The onus is on the owners to further the well being of their league and agree to diversify all levels of corporate management with particular emphasis on the disproportionate representation of African Americans in leadership positions in their companies. With so many head coaching vacancies this year, I hope either Houston or New Orleans will hire a minority candidate to avert court-ordered remedies. For my own part, I think the firing of Flores was unwarranted.

No one should hire anyone because of the color of their skin.

When a guy who was just paid several millions dollars/year to coach football, gets fired as most coaches eventually do and then screams “racism” because he is butt hurt about being fired, I can only laugh.

Flores would have been better off is he simply dusted himself off, bought some Preparation H and found another job. I can see suing if he feels he got screwed out of his buyout terms but, other than that, it is a temper tantrum.

Owners and universities should hire the best available coach. Period.

The part of claiming racism I think comes from him being interviewed for a job that has been already been decided solely to satisfy the rule.

Bikki, I agree on the relinquishing of the team part. If provable it should happen immediately. In fact, I wonder if season ticket holders would have a class action case that they were sold a disingenuous product.

Note: I was upset they fired Flores. I think he’s a good coach hamstrung by a terrible front office.

1 Like

True ! Likewise no one should be denied the possibility of a job…or a fair interview due to skin color. Does anyone really think that there is an absence of black and Hispanic coaches because “they lack the necessary know-how” ?!

Flores (and I’ll use the old expression here) … made chicken-salad out of chicken-**** and was let go with the old trope we know so well … …he was difficult to work with."…

When other teams would have given their eye-teeth for back-to-back winning seasons the man delivered. All the Fins now need is a decent QB.

Eric Bienemy, Raheem Morris, Flores, Byron Leftwich, Dave Culley and a whole host of guys deserving of a first or second shot don’t get it.

There are lots of White coaches who never got a HC shot either. There is a very limited number of big time coaching jobs and lots of competition.

Despite rampant racism, Flores worked his way up from Scout To LB Coach under Belichick and then at age 38 was handed the keys to the Dolphins top coaching job. He was a .500 coach in Miami for 3 seasons and went somewhat backwards in 2021. Apparently, he had a rocky relationship with the team owner and GM. Regardless of race, not too many coaches are going to survive that. He would still have his job if the team won more games. He is a complete loser for crying wolf.

Said Ross, “When we hired Flores, I had no idea he was black. But, after three years, I suddenly realized it so I immediately fired him”

Maybe Ross didn’t want to settle for mediocre results and decided to change direction.

The NFL should get rid of the Rooney Rule. If it wasn’t obvious why before, it is now.

C’mon Stork ! C’mon Man ! You saw the same season and team we did. It takes time …and what the man was able achieve at the end of the season was nothing short of amazing …given all the obstacles he faced in term of injuries to key players.

[quote]
There are lots of White coaches who never got a HC shot either. There is a very limited number of big time coaching jobs and lots of competition.[/quote]

Heh ! You know full well what I mean Stork.

1 Like

Apparently he achieved too much to keep his job. :laughing:

Never thought I’d see the day to where a coach is allegedly fired for winning games. :thinking:

I’ve requested this thread be moved to the Shelter because it seems bound to get overly political and I don’t want to pollute the football board.

This column parrots my thoughts. What owner in their right mind would ever hire a black coach or manager again without some form of legal guarantee that their franchise and/or the league won’t be sued over discrimination allegations if things don’t work out? Or, that some butthurt coach won’t turn into an arsonist and attempt to burn down the franchise and destroy the owner as Flores has done to Ross (and his mentor and the guy who made his career, Bill Belichik?)

Talk about unintended consequences.

Ross actually allowed him to skip a normal step on the career ladder and become a HC from a mere position (LB) coach. Flores was never a DC anywhere.

Shannon sued Miami but IIRC, the basis of the suit was about unfulfilled contract terms, buyout issues, not racism. Golden did the same. To his credit, Manny didn’t sue UM even though he was less than thrilled about his firing. In stark contrast, Richt gifted UM millions when he retired.

1 Like

Correct.

Couldn’t have said better

To be honest, I thought the Rooney Rule was a waste of time. I don’t want you to interview me because you have to interview me. I want you to interview me because you actually want to interview me. I get that the Rooney Rule was to at least get your foot in the door. That said, if you interview the bare minimum and only the bare minimum, you didn’t want to do it in the first place.

1 Like