Scuttlebutt

Chud or Briles as OC might be okay? I’d prefer Briles.

Looks like Miami may be destined to maintain its long term love affair with stupid penalties.

“A six-pack of Miami Hurricanes notes on a Monday: :black_small_square: Fox college football analyst Brock Huard, who has called a handful of Oregon games when Mario Cristobal was coach there, offered some cogent analysis of the coach’s strengths - and one concern - in a phone conversation last week. “One of the great strengths of Mario is he has a tremendous conviction of how to build a team - to build from the line of scrimmage out, which has been waning for decades at Miami,” Huard said. “He has a conviction about the game, and that it’s won at the line of scrimmage. “He will want to build first round NFL Draft picks on the O-line and D-line like he did in the heyday of Miami because that’s how you win ACC championships. That’s much more difficult to do at Oregon, because the supply chain of big humans [isn’t as plentiful there as the Southeast and South Florida].” Huard said Cristobal is “one of those rare O-line guys that has a scope and feel for the entire program. If you look at the number of head coaches that come out of the O-line world, it’s not very many of them in the college or professional ranks. “[Kansas City Chiefs coach] Andy Reid stands at the top of the pyramid. Mario is up there. Sam Pittman at Arkansas with eight wins this year. There are not many offensive head coaches that come out of that tree or tunnel. The good ones are some of the most irreplaceable in a staff and most stay in that world [of coaching offensive linemen]. “Mario has and is one of those guys that has all that O-line grit, toughness, passion, everything that comes with coaching that position but enough scope to see the big picture, especially with recruiting. And that’s played a role in his success.” So what’s the concern? “If I had a concern, it would be some of emotional roller coasters that tend to [happen] each and every year. He’s a high on emotion guy, the antithesis of [Baylor coach] Dave Aranda or a guy I played for in Tony Dungy, who you don’t know the score of the game depending on the reaction. “Mario’s emotion runs pretty hot to sustain that for an entire season. That emotional steadiness; can you sustain that over a [season]? That’s a hurdle he will have to climb. [But] I would have no question about recruiting, no question about surrounding himself with an excellent staff and being able to hire an excellent staff. Those are two major pieces.” Sports Pass is your ticket to Miami sports Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Miami area sports - only $1 a month VIEW OFFER :black_small_square: What about Oregon’s two decisive losses against Utah late in the year? Would that concern Huard? “I wouldn’t feel great about it,” Huard said. “But they were a beat-up football team; that was a bad matchup with a super undersized linebacker, backup safeties, a challenging situation on the defensive line because of injuries.” Should it be any concern that Justin Herbert has been better as an NFL quarterback than college quarterback? “There’s a fair explanation for Herbert,” Huard said. “Could they have done more with Justin? Yes. But in a 20-hour work week,” there are limitations to teach a college player as much he needs to know to thrive the way Herbert has in the NFL. :black_small_square: St. Louis-based four star receiver Kevin Coleman Jr. — rated by Rivals as the No. 9 receiver and No. 61 player in this class — reportedly enjoyed his UM visit and will choose among UM, Texas, Southern Cal and FSU. He plans to announce at the U.S. All-American Bowl on Jan. 8. UM believes it has a real chance here. Four-star Las Vegas based defensive end Cyrus Moss visited Southern Cal on Saturday and UM on Sunday and will announce on Wednesday. He tweeted “Miami. Go Canes!” after his visit.… UM hopes to lure four-star IMG Academy tight end Jaleel Skinner, an Alabama commitment, after he enjoyed his UM visit during the weekend. Alabama isn’t pleased he took a visit to UM but remains the heavy favorite for him… UM appears in good shape to land Fort Lauderdale Dillard four-star defensive lineman Nyjalik Kelly…. Per 247 Sports’ Gaby Urrutia, Miami also is in the mix for Alabama Crimson Tide cornerback Marcus Banks, who’s in the transfer portal after appearing in eight games this season. :black_small_square: Among players already committed, visits by two well-regarded cornerbacks (Mississippi-based cornerback Khamauri Rogers and Fort Myers-based cornerback Chris Graves) seemed to solidify their commitments, though UM will breathe easy on Graves only after he signs. Same with three-star safety Markeith Williams… Quarterback Jacurri Brown and Tennessee-based receiver Isaiah Horton — who both also visited this weekend — remain solid commits who plan to sign with UM this week. :black_small_square: Though UM and Joe Brady had talks about the offensive coordinator job, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported that Brady prefers to work in the NFL. A source said former UM tight end and former Cleveland Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski’s name has been among those that have come up. Chudzinski was a special assistant to Boston College coach Jeff Hafley this season. Canesport’s Gary Ferman reported that Cristobal has spoken with Arkansas offensive coordinator Kendall Briles, Buffalo Bills quarterbacks coach Ken Dorsey and Chudzinski. We have heard Briles is a strong candidate in UM’s eyes. 247 Sports’ David Lake reported Cristobal has spoken with Tim Brewster about the tight end coaching job. Brewster coached the position at UF the past two seasons. :black_small_square: Former UM players have said Cristobal will bring discipline to the program. But I found it interesting that Oregon averaged more penalty yards this season (66.9 per game), than UM (63.6). Oregon was 113th in penalty yards (17th worst in FBS), while UM was 104th. Oregon committed 98 penalties, UM 87. Oregon’s 98 penalties tied for seventh most in the country and fourth-most among Power 5 teams.”

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article256312457.html#storylink=cpy

Not gonna lie. I found this part distressing…

1 Like

Yep - doesn’t seem to fit.

I don’t get chud and dorsey….just because they are former players shouldn’t matter. We need production so bring on briles.

Those penalty stats are abysmal, but something that can definitely be corrected more easier than other things

1 Like

Would be more than happy to give him a shot.

1 Like

I’d probably prefer Briles but one could make a case for Chud given his background.
Not sure of recruiting prowess though.

Chud going from an OC for the Colts to being a special assistant for the last three years at a middle of the road ACC team isn’t that exciting.

Chud likes to throw the rock to the TE. I am all for it.