Rod Wright hired as DE coach

Former Longhorn had a brief NFL stint…

Young up and comer, who was at UTSA as dL/Co-DC

Very good hire imo…With all this youth and many being from hotbeds…This staff is being built for recruiting no doubt. And the fact we have former HCs and coordinators tells you that it’s not one dimensional

Cristobal overall aced his hires imo…That’s what money can do for you. I’d love to see an ST coach, but supposedly it is being handled by Dennis Smith in an off-the-field role (other programs are handling this way as well) …And the fact DVD is stying in an office position is a win as well (recruits are STILL mentioning him)

Field only coach retained…I think our structure with two separate DL coaches and a stand alone QB coach is a little different, but Cristobal wants the recruiters and there’s no reason to think it can’t work.
My grades

Gattis A-
Ponce B+ (don’t know much about his recruiting, he’s from Miami)
Field (A- as a holdover)
Mirabal A (Basically an extension of Cristobal and big rep as a technician)
K.Smith A

Steele A (I’ve caved in…As long as juice left in tank, he’s a top 10ish DC in America)
Sa’lave B (west coast recruiter, and my question marks are answered with CMC’s confidence in him, high energy guy)
Wright A-
Strong A-
Addae A

I think we upgraded everywhere, other than QB coach, where, if you are asking who is the better raw QB coach I’d say Lashlee over Ponce

Likens/Gattis ehhhh wash…Maybe slight edge to Gattis in recruiting but Likens def wasn’t a slouch

The biggest upgrades imo are clearly DC and the defensive front 7. And even though Justice improved the OL, things were slowly on the recruiting front there, and he is being replaced by two of the best in Cristobal/Mirabal.

Recruiting should improve across the board, but again especially in the defensive front 7. Simpson proved to be a dud recruiting.

What are your thoughts on the new strength coach Aaron Feld?

“What are your thoughts on the new strength coach Aaron Feld?”

Dudley Do-Right has nothing good to say about him.

Did Wright coach under Coker at UTSA?

No. 2019 was his first year at UTSA. Coker was fired in 2015.