Recruiting Blurbs, Etc

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article258021728.html

A six-pack of Miami Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: :black_small_square: Before national signing day, Mario Cristobal kept together the recruiting department that he inherited — including Pop Cooney, Edwin Pata and Andy Vaughn — and they did very good work in this cycle, earning plaudits from the new University of Miami football coach. But Cristobal also made this clear in a recent conversation with the team’s radio rights-holder: “We’ve got to add more people to our recruiting and personnel department with eyes that we can trust.” And that need for additional people increased last week when Vaughn left for a job at Arizona State. Cristobal told WQAM that he wants to see more video of recruits. “I want to see them playing basketball, doing the broad jump, shuttle run,” he said. “I want to see 300, 400, 500, 600 reps playing any kind of activity.” He wants UM to consistently get the best players from South Florida and seems to have a better chance of accomplishing that more consistently than UM’s previous coaches this century. “That’s the best one — we’ve got to go get that one,” he said of the philosophy of snagging the top player in the tri-county area. He couldn’t get Texas A&M-bound defensive end Shemar Stewart this year, but lured two other top local recruits in linebacker Wesley Bissainthe and defensive lineman Nyjalik Kelly. :black_small_square: Class of 2023 notes: Denton, Texas-based five-star prospect Anthony Hill Jr., rated the nation’s top linebacker in the ‘23 class, listed UM among his six finalists this week, along with Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and Southern California. Find more sports news, plus coverage from Sports Illustrated. READ MORE 247 Sports rates him the ninth best prospect in the 2023 class. :black_small_square: UM is in the mix for a bunch of other top 100 players in the 2023 class, including Miami Killian receiver Robby Washington, whose top six include UM, Alabama, FSU, Georgia, Oklahoma and FAU. Washington had 16 touchdowns on 42 catches last season, closing the season with 868 yards in receptions. UM also is pursuing his brother, three-star linebacker Bobby Washington. Bradenton IMG Academy’s Carnell Tate, the No. 1 receiver in the 2023 class, has mentioned Miami among schools that interest him. Meanwhile, Lakeland-based Cormani McClain, the No. 1 cornerback in the 2023 class, has UM in his top eight. :black_small_square: Tidbits from new offensive coordinator Josh Gattis’ interview with WQAM’s Joe Zagacki: He said his No. 1 goal this spring is to “develop the physicality of our team. It doesn’t mean we’re going to be ground and pound and running out of tight formations. It means we’re going to do things with a presence.”… Because of his experience and success last season, Tyler Van Dyke is “going to be able to play with confidence, which will allow him to take his game to a new level,” Gattis said. “It’s a [quarterback] friendly system we’ll run. We’ll always play to the strengths of our quarterbacks and do what they do best.”… On a tight end group headlined by Will Mallory, Elijah Arroyo and Jaleel Skinner: “We’ve recruited the tight end position well. We’ve got to get great production from that position in the pass game but get great commitment from them in the run game [as well in terms of blocking]. They will turn into complete Swiss Army knives.”… Gattis, who was Michigan’s offensive coordinator last season, praised Dolphins owner and Michigan donor Stephen Ross for doing “a phenomenal job building [Hard Rock] into one of the more unique stadiums in the country. There’s not a more beautiful stadium in the country.” :black_small_square: Tidbits from new defensive coordinator Kevin Steele’s chat with Zagacki: Twice he emphasized that “you have to have your best 11 players on the field. You can’t stand on the sideline with two of your best players because they don’t fit what you do.” (That made me think that Steele will work to get ways to play James Williams, Avantae Williams and Kamren Kinchens together at times. A case could be made to move James Williams to linebacker, but the new staff hasn’t commented on that)… On Nick Saban’s influence on him, Steele said: “We’ve been friends since 1985, ‘86. I’ve coached for him twice. I’m off that tree. If you ask some defensive coach what is Kevin Steele’s philosophy, they would say he’s off the Saban tree. Because of that, he’s had a big impact.”… He said he has begun studying UM’s 2021 defensive tape and said “there is some young talent here, guys that have been here that have bought into coach Cristobal’s worth ethic. There is good football on tape.” :black_small_square: Larry Blustein — the dean of South Florida recruiting and appreciated throughout Florida for his promotion of recruits and efforts to help them gain exposure — made his first public comments Wednesday after a difficult battle with COVID-19, which required hospitalization and a ventilator. “It has been a crazy six weeks to say the least — and while I have been down and out — I am aimed toward recovering from a serious health episode that has completely shut me down,” Blustein, who has a history of kidney disease, posted on social media. “For those who know me, and have followed what I have done for the past 51 years, Covid , Pneumonia and several other serious health issues have certainly put things into perspective. “But with that said, I plan to make a full recovery and get back where I belong — with all of you. In order to do that, there is still a long road back, but one that I embrace every day. “I want to thank, from the bottom of my heart, EVERYONE who has prayed and supported me at this tough time and it’s because of you that I am fighting harder every day during this rehabilitation to return as a friend and as an ongoing source for high school sports coverage. “Because my phone was compromised during the past six weeks and it is tough for me to address it right now, if you need to get messages to me, I have been able to check my e-mail account at: Floridakids1@aol.com. “I just wanted to bring you up to date on where I am in this recovery period, and once again, cannot express how everything you have done for me has worked and continues to lift me up during the toughest period in my life. “Love you all and PRAYER WORKS!!! Just to let you know — I am vaccinated three times for Covid, Pneumonia and Influenza — so I am NOT Superman, after all!!!” Blustein has been involved in recruiting for more than 50 years and hosts a show on WQAM. Last month, Harold Cole, a close friend of Blustein’s of 40 years, set up a GoFundMe to raise money to assist with Blustein’s hospital bills and medical assistance once he returns home.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article258021728.html#storylink=cpy

1 Like