Maybe it’s time for Matthews to correct his mistake. Mario is a recruiting maestro. Looks to me like we’re going to live up to our name—Hurricanes indeed.
Some movement here for me after some tape of UM come and reading a couple opinions I respect. Dawson stock flying up.
Also, where some remaining targets would rank if they committed to UM today, 6/20
Jacobs 1
MJC 4
Woodard 8
Cartwright 17
Vilma 18
Ramos 20
Yes, their agent had no ties into University of Miami. They came after me for 6 months to come and work for them. Very unprofessional group. If Mark had signed with a local agent, he most likely ends up at UM.
Skeeter, we are good. I don’t come on the site every day like I used to. I end up missing questions and have to go back and look. Been busy. Game has changed and I have had to adapt. With my contacts a bunch of these agents have tried to hire me. I have to say there are a ton of people who have no clue what they are doing. Mark’s agents are one of them.
Wow interesting
Two guys I think are going to have a breakout year this coming season–Josh Moore and Armando Blount. I thought Moore was terrific last year. He has size equivalent to Jeremiah Smith. He may be a tad bigger than Smith. This kid is going to present a huge problem to smaller defenders. It puzzled me why he didn’t get more touches last year. When it’s a fifty-fifty sitution, Moore is going to win those battles.
Blount is like a rampaging wild bull. Mario wants them to be physical and violent, and I think Blount meets those requirements. The biggest difference in the Age of Cristobal is that Mario has been able to fill the cupboards with big guys, so that our offensive and defensive lines no longer get pushed around as they did the past two decades.
Another one I am hoping will develop is Hayden Lowe who is another chiseled physical specimen. We didn’t see much of Hayden with his early injury last year. I think Hayden has something to prove this year; I’m hoping he lives up to the early five star expectations.
The Hurricanes are really fortunate having Hetherman as defensive coordinator and LB coach. I am hoping that we’ll see the emergence of some of the younger LBs. It has been a while since we’ve had a top flight LB. So glad we landed the Randle kid for 27. Watching his tapes, I think he deserves another star after his name. I think he’s going to be a great one.
Curious as to what an “agent” looks like in today’s environment? Are there licensing options available? Are these tax paying businesses? Is this more “freelance” work? Is there any Body that oversees this new ecosystem? And how does this compare to the “old days” of street agents?
Thanks to anyone with some insight. I’m guessing Nole80 would have some if he’s willing to share.
I’d also be interested in how payments are made agent to athlete and/or athlete to agent. Is there a business name involved such as for example “Big Time Agent LLC”?
Have to assume most high school kids (and their parents) do not investigate background of agency on their own. Probably take it at face value.
I’d even go a step further and wonder how the university facilitates this deal (if at all), who pays / how are they structured? What role does this play in a recruit “shutting down their recruitment “?
Of all the positions on our team this year, the position where I have concern is at LB. It’s a shame we lost Aguire to NC St. Aguire improved every year, and I think would have challenged for a starting role this year. To be sure, he’ll start at NC St and probably and deservedly got an NIL bonus in transferring.
Fortunately, we have killer class coming in for 27, but we presently remain thin at the position. One of the younger guys needs to have a breakout this year, and my guess it would likely be Kellen Wiley who certainly has the physical size to raise his performance to a higher level. I also like the Alabama kid from Theodore, AL Cam Pruitt who saw action in every game last season and made some good stops against Ohio State. Fortunately, Miami is very solid at safety, nickel back and the secondary, but wouldn’t it be great to see one of the young guys have a break through year at LB. Wiley certainly has the beast-like classical size for the LB position.
My other area of concern is at TE. IMO, Dawson doesn’t use the TEs enough. Last year, we had great expectations for Elijah Lofton to have a breakout season, and Lofton who reportedly has Swiss Army knife utility did have some moments, but he never elevated into the limelight. Incredibly, Miami has TEN players listed as TEs, so competition for playing time should be staunch. Red-shirted Cole McConathy has been shifted from defense to offense; he’s now a TE. I’d like to solicit Skeeter’s opinion of what is going on at TE.
Ya I agree… I don’t think he’s a star, but I definitely was an Aguirre fan. That’s why there should still be a 2nd portal for players with one year eligibility still remaining. Kids who have put their time in. I believe Aguirre rushed his decision when Torre decided to stay.
Of the young guys, Wiley has the most upside, but there are RUMORS he is having trouble gasping things and may be moved to edge or at least primarily used a pass rusher if things don’t get going. Pruitt supposedly had the best spring is currently LB3. I believe we will lose AT LEAST 1 LB after next season besides the seniors Torre and Smith
My other area of concern is at TE. IMO, Dawson doesn’t use the TEs enough. Last year, we had great expectations for Elijah Lofton to have a breakout season, and Lofton who reportedly has Swiss Army knife utility did have some moments, but he never elevated into the limelight. Incredibly, Miami has TEN players listed as TEs, so competition for playing time should be staunch. Red-shirted Cole McConathy has been shifted from defense to offense; he’s now a TE.
I’d like to solicit Skeeter’s opinion of what is going on at TE.
Hopefully a healthy Lofton shows some improvement, he reportedly played through a few different injury issues last year. When people say we don’t use TE enough, gotta remember that not every offense can feature every position. You won’t a strong running game? Want dangerous WR lined up everywhere? OK. And also it is wroth noting that he used Arroyo very well his senior season. I would have liked to have seen Schott stay for sure, but with Gilbert, Briggs, and Mueller we are not hurting for young talent.
Currently here are the TE that are on scholly, and my best guess at depth chart
Lofton
Gilbert
Mueller
McConathy
Carver
Ruskavich- (I believe h on scholly and still on roster, I may be wrong on both…former walk on)
Briggs- redshirt imo but who knows.
And then Deroche coming in. And it also seems that the remaining flip candidate that we would be all in on, at any position (besides DJ Jacobs), is Jaxon Dollar the Georgia TE commit. No idea what the real chances are there.
Any other name is a wallk-on and not likely to factor in. I believe we lose at least 1-2 TE next season even though none our seniors I may be wrong.
There are people who are actual pro agents who represent players and those who think they are agents. I have parents who reach out to me all the time. The big problem now is they use me for my contacts and then some agent who did nothing for the kid negotiates the kids contract. The agents in college ask from 5 percent to upwards of 20 percent. The NFL agents charge their clients I believe 3.5 percent which is set in stone…You can’t charge more than that in the NFL. Some will say WHY do the agents charge more in college. The NFL is all slotted and your working within a system. College its out of control. Understand twoG5 programs wanted this DT I knew of last year from a JUCO….His final number was 90 grand and the school who lost him said to me they would have paid more. There are people who are repping these kids who should not be in the business. They are all about themselves….It is sad but the reality.
If the class would end today I would give a positional ranking like this
QB: A
RB: B+
WR: A (This is probably an A+ because what it doesn’t have in size and overall numbers it was addressed last year)
TE: C+
OL: A-
DT: B+
DE: A-
LB: A
CB: A+
S: A (I think the kids with possible nickle skills in this class are Gourdine, Jones, Hall…But remain to be seen, none clearly obvious like Portis from last year)
Has to be the one of the most balanced groups of high ranked kids I’ve seen Miami assemble. I’m really impressed at the player numbers and “star power” in filling each slot. Hope they come good. Could be incredible.