OSU QB charged with OVI

OVI is Ohio’s way of saying DUI/DWI or operating a vehicle while intoxicated.

I hate these types of cases. Miller refused a sobriety test and the law says that, therefor he is intoxicated.

The MADD coalition went way overboard and have forced states to violate privacy laws. There’s absolutely nothing that mandates a person submit to a search or seizure (which is what a sobriety test is of your own body) without consent. Not consenting should not automatically mean you are guilty of the charge. I don’t understand why the ACLU and others haven’t fought this ridiculous law states use to destroy people’s lives.

Let’s take an analogy and apply it. A cop alleges that he smells marijuana in the car. He asks the occupant for permission to search. The occupant denies the request asserting his 4th amendment rights.

The cops can’t just say “well, now we charge you with possession of marijuana because you asserted your right and denied us access to prove our suspicion.

Complete bullshit. We need to start fighting this police state.

1 Like

Agree completely, GSC. The worst hypocrisy is that bars and taverns advertise Happy Hours, two for one, come party with us advertising, then a half block away from a popular pub the cops set up an ambush, stopping revelers, subjecting them to indignities, and issuing a ticket that may wind up costing persons $10,000 or more.

In Florida, as I recall, you’re only legally compelled to submit to a sobriety test if there is an accident. Otherwise, if you have been drinking, don’t submit to a breath test, don’t submit to any field sobriety test, don’t let them shine a light into your eyes, and don’t like an idiot admit you’ve had a couple drinks. It is legal for cops to lie to you to trick a confession out of you. If you are f*cked up, the sooner you clam up and ask for a lawyer the better. Once you’ve asked for lawyer, nothing said after that is admissible in court against you.

In NJ if you refuse to blow you are automatically charged with DUI and it’s almost impossible to beat the charge. It’s ridiculous and out of control and I’m astounded that lawyers haven’t fought this vociferously. Most likely because it’s an easy money maker for them.

I thought in Florida/California if you refuse to blow you can be arrested (if suspected of DUI) and made to take a blood test at the station. But of course that’s a lot of hassle if the cop isn’t sure you’re over the limit. I had a friend take a field test and talk for ten minutes before refusing to blow and the cop just let him go. I myself have passed several field sobriety tests in my life but have never been asked to blow.

In the Age of Uber, there’s really no excuse for driving drunk.

That’s entirely not the point.

We’re talking about a 4th amemdment issue here Stork. I don’t care for drunk drivers either but violating my rights to catch them is bullshit.

If I come home from work late and I’m exhausted…. Or let’s say I took medication and it made me groggy…. Cop pulls me over. He suspects I’m drunk and asks me to blow…. I say no. He now has the probable cause, via my denial, to infer ive committed a crime and to arrest me. That’s absolute horse shit.

And before you say “just blow if you have nothing to worry about.” That’s not how our system works. I don’t have to prove I didn’t commit a crime and clear myself. They have to prove I did in order to prosecute me.

1 Like

YOU CAN’T STOP THE RESTAURANT/BAR…

YOU CAN’T DRIVE DRUNK AND IF THEY LET YOU GET TO FAR MORE CHANCE YOU KILL SOMEONE…

I HAD A REALLY HOT 24 YEAR OLD FRIEND NOW IN PRISON FOR KILLING SOMEONE AT 4 AM THE WEEK OF HIS WEDDING…

TWO LIVES RUINED…

WHAT DO YOU PROPOSE?

Period!