NIL offer to Caleb Williams

This NIL thing… it’s going to get out of control.

I think this stuff has been going on all along. They don’t have to hide it now.

1 Like

So far this is another small school competing with a big one. That might be a good thing.

They’re acting like Georgia’s the main player here. I could see him with Lincoln again at SC too. Not sure who’s going to get the most out of him but is he better off in the long term by not just lunging at the best NIL deal now for a better payday in the league down the road? I know, get paid now, tomorrow’s not a guarantee. But it is something to think about. Eastern Michigan? Joel Klatt was talking yesterday about what these new QBs 2nd contracts are going to look like when they come around to getting paid in the NFL. That’s the one that will pay. The base $350 million deal is a real thing. The money at the pro level is going to become insane. But it’s tough to know what a kid is thinking in the moment.

Eastern Michigan, Eastern to the locals, is a mid-sized MAC school located next to Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti borders Ann Arbor. It makes zero sense for Eastern to blow a million dollars on a football player.

The campus is quaint but not spectacular… Ypsi itself has suffered the effects of outsourcing as its main industry is automotive parts. The school started around 1850 as a teacher’s college. It offers students in the area a lower cost alternative to Michigan which caters far too much to out of staters and behaves much more like a private school than a state school.

Agree but that was smart to throw their name in the ring to grab headlines for lower tear kids.

Or, they just look foolish.

Auburn

There HAS to be some type of standardization for NIL and enforcement…We are talking about Charlie Batch, WTF is now going on with the big boys in college. This is clearly small time, I can’t even fathom the big time stuff going on with the highest bidder. How then will it impact players giving a shit if things don’t work out and they are already taken care of for life!!!

I see so many burn outs, or players giving ZERO shits after the money is locked in. Spencer Rattler effect will grow and grow and grow.

PS.
I’m pro making sure these kids are getting a piece of the pie, but good lord there has to be some type of rules, boundaries and enforcement.

It will be abused and then companies will dial it in. Maybe they’ll set conditions on the payouts in a legal way. Something needs to give.

In a way we might have some entertaining personalities taking over college without any hope of a real pro career. It really just depends how this thing evolves.

Whatever happens, we’re in for a wild few years.

Agree it’s gone from one extreme to another. Overall this is a better extreme

It’s hard not to reward the talent in institutions where coaches are making millions. Perhaps big time sports such as football and basketball should be separated but affiliated with universities. How can one justify paying a Nobel laureate $300,000 a year and head football coach $5 million.

2 Likes

Tenure

I love the players finally getting paid, but long term team performance will become millionaire NIL connection based, not recruiting/talent/school/rapport building. Shit about to get super weird over the next couple of years.