New DC Lance Guidry

Yeah, I think Golden did a great job with the mess that he inherited. A very difficult thing for him for sure. His DC was horrible and became his downfall, I agree. However, I haven’t seen him do much of anything since he left here. I would think if he were that good he would have landed somewhere as a HC by now?
Coker was like Gruden in that he inherited a championship team. Great OC, not a great HC.
Shannon, good DC, not a good HC.

I THINK we got it right with Mario…time will tell.

That’s what Miami does to ya… kiss of death. No one has ever really rebounded.

I guess you can say some went back to their natural spots as coordinators (Randy and Manny)…. But head coaches fucking die here.

Coker
Randy (never head coached again)
Golden (was coaching tight ends after this in the NFL now he’s a DC)
Richt - literally almost died and retired
Manny- back to DC

ITS FUCKING EMBARRASSING.

I actually blame it on the back to back bad hires of Coker/Randy who so depleted the organization that we became a JV team talent wise.

ONE OF THE BEST POST STORM HAS SEEN ON THE FOOTBALL BOARD PROBABLY EVER….

THE ONLY THING MISSING IS HOW HE WAS FCKED THROUGHOUT BECAUSE OF PROBATION MORE THEN COACH D……

WE NEVER HAD NUMBERS OR THE TALENT HE COULD HAVE RECRUITED BECAUSE OF IT….

Yes! I completely forgot. This guy would have been legit with full numbers and a decent DC. We should have given him 1 more year and mandated a change at DC. Shame.

1 Like

Dono is AG’s brother-in-law and was running AG’s bend don’t break, soft defense exactly as AG wanted.

But, yes, AG was not at fault at all for the team’s poor showing during his tenure and despite going .500 in 3 of the his 4 full seasons with numerous bad losses, he would have miraculously evolved into the greatest coach in Miami history if only Blake James had granted him another year.

I think most of us had seen enough of AG to make a proper judgment on him by the time he was finally fired.

Miami made a series of cheap hires under Donna, including Blake James as AD, and got exactly what they paid for.

What an amazing straw man here. I actually cast blame on Golden stork. His undoing was Donofrio.

Are you going to deny that Golden had the most talent up and down among any coach since Butch? Because that’s my point as well as him being a master marketer and brander (which was the catalyst for the good recruiting).

Golden def underappreciated as a HC here. Did a lot of good and had the program in the best shape since Butch. His undoing was stubbornly sticking with his defensive scheme.

I think the whole ordeal soured him on being a HC again. In a lot of ways I can’t blame him. While you can make a lot of $$$ as a HC, you catch a LOT of flack. Have to have thick skin and not care. It’s a lot mentally to deal with. That’s why some folks are happy in the c-suite but never strive to be a CEO.

GSC must have been a Revisionist History major in college.

Hocutt never should have settled for a MAC coach that was coming off a decent year at Temple. Another cheap hire with a predictable result.

The only “brand” AG developed at Miami was that of a pathetically bad, losing team with no hope of ever getting better. After 4 years, he was still .500 and everyone was rightfully screaming for his head.

He did have a binder though so there’s that.

Well I was shooting for Passive Agressivism but apparently you took the last spot.

Golden absolutely built a brand here. The guy was phenomenal with multimedia marketing and stocked the team with talent.

YOU NOTICE THE PEOPLE THAT COMPLAIN ABOUT STORM POST THE DUMBEST SHIT?

AL GOLDEN WAS CHEAP?

AL HAD SEVERAL JOB OFFERS AND WHEN PROBATION HIT ALL THE FCKEN STUGOTZS HERE WERE IN COMPLETE PANIC MODE CRYING AND BEGGING FOR GOLDEN TO STAY BECAUSE IF HE DIDN’T NO ONE WOULD TAKE THE JOB…

AL GOLDEN BROUGHT COLEY……

COLEY HELPED BUILD FSU……

COLEY HELPED BUILD UGA….

JIMBO JUMPED AT BRINGING COLEY TO A&M……

GOLDEN HIRED MARIO……

MARIO LEFT……

GOLDEN HIRED BARROW WHO DID AN EXCELLENT JOB RECRUITING CONSIDERING PROBATION……

IF GOLDEN WOULDN’T HAVE BEEN ON PROBATION THE STORY IS DIFFERENT……

FORGET ABOUT “COACH D” AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE TALENT ON THOSE DEFENSES……

STRAIGHT TRASH……

COACH D WAS FAR FROM THE PROBLEM AND REMEMBER HE HAD A TOP 15-20 DEFENSE IN THE COUNTRY AT TEMPLE……

“stocked” is a bit of overstatement.

Coach D was definitely a lot of the problem.

Yes he walked into weak defensive talent…But his defense was exposed when he stepped up in class. Even when the talent improved they still weren’t golden.

Golden never would have agreed to fire Dono for the same reason that Richt refused to fired his son.

But, James was so lame he never pressed the issue.

Relative to what it was when he got it I think stocked is an accurate choice of words.

REALLY?

WHAT WERE THE DEFENSES RANKED?

Anyway, we have Mario here long term.
Let’s hope Guidry and our new OC stay for a few years IF they prove to be good hires. IF they can coach and IF they can recruit then the hires are good ones. Both are fairly young and hungry.

Use real, more advance rankings

Not the archaic bullshit you usually try to come here with…And then adjust for schedule. And then get back to me. Thanks

But ya F+/- (which combines the two main efficiency systems of SP+/- and FEI) were 28, 31, 41 the last 3 years of his regime.

I think we can both agree…Not quite where we need to be that deep into his regime

And again, I acknowledge some of the good Golden did as well.