Miami vs Southern Miss Game Thread

Corners are getting burnt

Can’t run. TVD struggling. Defense getting beat.

Awesome.

The refs are real sharp today :roll_eyes:

Should have punted.

The middle of the field has been wide open all game. This has been an issue across multiple coaching staffs.

No blocking up front

Restrepo can’t be the only receiver making plays, or it’s gonna be a long season.

Gonna be a bloodbath next weekend

Hopefully we get this cleaned up in the second half.

Zero rhythm, slow trodding offense, no playmakers on O, TVD has not been in sync for two games…Linebackers still getting lost, and corners getting beat. All of this against shitty teams.

Getting frustrated here. NOTHING has been clean, and the best offensive play was a flea flicker against a shitty team today. UGH

I’m before the “we’re keeping if vanilla and under the lid” posts.

Not able to watch the game. Just finished watching its tape.

In the first half, we were in regression. Van Dyke under considerable pressure. Running game almost stymied. Restrepo stood out again as he did against Bethune. Observation that the middle of field wide open is certainly valid. Surprised, we didn’t run some crossing routs with initial WR clearing out defenders.

Defensive line looked good. Taylor was a beast and Lichtenstein moved a lot faster than I though he was. USM completed some passes, but many of their receptions were due to the excellence of their receivers fighting for the ball. Tyreke Stevenson redeemed himself from last week. Broke up some receptions and plain much better. So did Ivy.

Happy to say, a different team came out on the field in the second half. Van Dyke’s protection improved, and he did a good job stepping up into the pocket. Van Dyke’s arm is a thing of beauty, and his accuracy led to some chunk plays.

The running game in the second half showed some light. Franklin burst through the line on several nice runs. Parish again gained some positive yards. While our line in general plays well on pass protecttion, we still need to work on drive blocking on rushing plays. Franklin’s bull rushes I thought slowed up USM’s defensive line, and Franklin seemed to get stronger as the game progressed. One of our favorite past plays seemed absent from the menu–the bubble screen. I love bubble screens because it keeps the outside rush honest, and it just requires one good block to create a little daylight for the receiver. By that same token, I would like to have seen more quick flairs and hitches to the RBs allowing us to exploit the wide side of the field. We had some tackles for loss running wide after direct handoffs to Rbs. It would have better to throw flair outs with backs already moving and gaining momentum to turn the corner.

Loved Restrepo’s downfield block during a long pass play. These are the kind of plays that win games.

If MIami plays with same determination as they did in the second half of this game, they’ll stand up well against Texas A&M.

1 Like

TVD played poorly at times, but he had a great 3rd quarter.

The defense played better than last week, avoiding those big gashing plays after allowing a few 3rd and longs on the first drive. They dropped a few INTs and had poor pass protect at times.

Offense wasn’t a total failure but had key setbacks that kept points off the board. Definitely not super polished and dangerous yet. Runners were fun to watch.

All in all, it paints a bad picture for next week. We would need both sides of the football to come together, on the road, in a night game, to have a chance of winning. There’s always a chance, of course, and I don’t know much about A&M’s team, but I’m pessimistic.

I’m curious on what some of you expect. This team isn’t an Alabama, Georgia or Ohio State when it comes to talent. In this era of college football, after the first tier teams, it’s pretty jumbled. It’s been like that for a couple years now. Look at Marshall, App St and even Washington St today.

Ivey sucks. Team doesn’t look fast on defense. Al Blades isn’t good. Until these Diaz players can’t be replaced, there are going to be games like this.

Hopefully TVD and Mallory can get on the same page soon.

I gave up on Mallory last year…Dude looks it, but dissapears on the field.

He was non existent yesterday. Disappointing.