LB Justin Medlock commits to Miami

Projected in the middle. Seems like a good pickup at a position of need.

I view Medlock as ordinary. Medlock is about the size and speed of the rest of our LB corp. I’d like to see Miami get taller, heavier with LBs without giving up speed. Medlock’s game tapes were pretty good. He looks fast running down players running wide. He was offered by Oklahoma, Ohio State, and LSU, but not by Alabama, Clemson, or Georgia. He made 100 tackles last year in HS, most on his HS team. No doubt we need LBs.

There is something we don’t know about this kid. Rival’s had ranked 39th among players in Texas in December. For some undisclosed reason he has fallen in the rankings to being now the 68th ranked player in the state… What don’t we know about him.

1 Like

gotta agree that I wasn’t really blown away from his clips. not that explosive and average size. seems to have good instincts though.

not a fan of this staff’s scouting at LB and WR…we need to aim for a higher standard at these positions.

Apparently the story is he was a fast riser after a very huge soph season earning those offers from OU, OSU, LSU etc but had a knee injury his junior season cutting it short and said teams pulled back.

His soph tape is definitely more impressive IMO but yes, overall I don’t think he is al ultimate difference maker. He can play here but yes I agree, we need to do better.

Not a significant enough fall to think any other reason than random chance or that he didn’t commit to a Texas or SEC school

***Also I forgot to mention Bikki…The kid only played 3 games last year due to a broken hand. So if you are concerned with his slight fall in the Tex rankings, that could also have contributed.

1 Like

Killed it last year WR. Brinson could have went where he wanted

2 Likes

I mostly liked Smith from last year’s class and I’m ‘meh’ on the others. Brinson could be good and i’m obviously rooting for him, but I wasn’t wowed by his clips. he actually reminds me a bit of J. Payton which is a bit scary.

We shall see…Looks taller and lengthier than Payton to me.

1 Like

I agree with Skeeter. He looks like a much longer kids with better upside. Peyton didn’t have quickness. He seems to get in and out of his cuts much quicker.

I actually thought he did on tape lol, to at least enough of it…Appears he doesn’t now, at least not in and out of routes. We all questioned whether Payton was 6’2/6’3 as he was listed, and supposedly he is barely 6’0. Brinson looks like a tall kid out there. Let’s hope he works, I like him a lot.

1 Like

Think he was playing jump ball with njoku and looked to be the same height.

Payton measured in at 6’0.5 right before his senior year. Melo is a legit 6’2+

Smith is my favorite too though, and I think in this offense George can be dangerous as well due to his YAC ability.

Medlock decommitted today. Not sure if that’s his doing or ours but we’re back to 8 commits at present.

When I watch films, I love watching the guy who really pops the leather. For instance, I loved Gurvan Hall’s high school videos. When Gurvan hit them, the play was over. In retrospect, I am kind of disappointed that Hall didn’t light it up, but he did make a lot of tackles for UM and was an incredibly hard hitter considering his size.

What does this have to do with medlock?

Hall hit when he played downhill. Anything that requires angles or change of direction or coverage Watch OUT for the whiff.

I didn’t like Medlock’s tapes. I liked Gurvan’s,