Destined for Greatness

A decade ago, I predicted the rise of Alabama under Nick Saben. Saben had lost a great deal of respect in the Miami area departing rather ingloriously from the head coaching job of the Dolphins. Admittedly, having my fish camp on Hurricane Bayou, good name, located in Baldwin County, AL, I couldn’t help but being informed about the happenings both in Tuscaloosa and Auburn.

As a college football fan, nothing is more satisfying than accurately making an unexpected prediction, and herein I will do just that, hoping that my prediction will redound to my receiving an inordinate amount of credit.

I predict the rise of Arizona State into football prominence. First, ASU is unfortunately the final landing place of Jaden Rashada. More importantly, my prediction is based on a kid running way beneath the radar, but I believe will be the next incarnation of Christian McCaffery, only this kid is more talented, bigger, and one of the toughest, real football players I’ve seen in a long time. His name is Cameron Skattebo, No RB I saw last year broke more tackles than Skattebo.

ASU just named Kenny Dillingham as new Head Coach, and I believe they made a great hire. Dillingham worked with Norvell at Memphis and Malzahn at Auburn. While ASU finished ranked 36th in 2023 recruiting, they went wild in the transfer portal, picking up a whopping 26 players, including Skattebo, in the portal. Keep your eyes on ASU, because they’re going to rise out of no where.

Don’t tell that to Joel Klatt! He thinks Colorado is about to surge under Deion and only USC “might” be better within two years in the Pac 12 - provided SC and UCLA haven’t bolted to the Big 10 just yet. Is '24 when they’re leaving anyway? If so, he’ll pick them to win the darn thing then. The last thing he needs to see is a relevant ASU when Oregon will still be pretty good as will be Utah, Washington and UCLA for starters. I guess hope springs eternal at a lot of places. Sure hope it will again is S. Florida again at some point.

I believe we’d have won three or more games last year had Lashlee not departed. Gattis was a huge flop. Mario deserves kudos for having the cojones to fire Gattis summarily. Recruiting is Mario’s forte. A few more recruiting classes like this year’s and we’ll be marching up the ladder.

Norvell is also doing a splendid job at FSU. My opinion of Norvell was diminished after watching FSU 2021 game against Notre Dame. FSU lost that game due to Norvell’s game day coaching decision; he made some awful calls that day. However, that game was an aberration, and in future games, I saw FSU exlhibit excellent offensive strategy; they certainly did against hapless Miami this year. FSU should be even better next year. Like Mario, Norvell is a good recruiter, and FSU has NIL resources.

Yet you defend stormie?