Dawson, It Is

I’d say they were forced out. Or at least not convinced to stay.

I mean we thought Rogers had some potential, but daddy seemed to be heavily involved on twitter (not to mention who knows how he came out of the ACL injury) …But Dunson, K.Wash, Blades (looked awful this year)…A.Williams looked bad and off the field stuff. Not sure we should miss any of them.

Yeah, I hear ya.
A. Williams was a huge disappointment for us.
From a pure numbers standpoint it would be nice to have one or two of them.

I think Gattis was a lazy hire in the fact that he had a name and clearly an aggressive agent and Mario went for it. Hope Mario has learned his lesson. Do your homework on every guy. Bill Walsh had a great book about coaching. In he talked about being wary of coaches who gave young assistants glowing recommendations. And these same coaches would dog other coaches who they had on the staff for years. Clearly people gave Mario bad info.

I think Strong did not get a look at DC as Mario was able to watch him all season long. Why would he need to interview the guy when the guy should have been de facto interviewing every day in practice

It is my belief that every year a staff is cobbled together. It takes time to develop some Jason Taylor types. It takes some time to get analysis types into the program. Isn’t Highsmith suppose to be helping in this regard?

Strong took an “analyst” job at Bama. Obviously, he is in high demand as a DC.

I think Mario is way in over his head. I have no faith in this man.

This is an interesting take; where do you get this idea?

Mario’s work at Oregon doesn’t give you any solace?

1 Like

No- not at all. What’s the standard at Oregon? Kelly’s era right?

Mario had more by the time he got there (from Kelly’s success) and did less.

He’ll win 8-10 here. I don’t see anything remarkable about him. Nothing.

PS- let me also give Mario a little break here too… it’s not his fault.

I think every year/era you have 5-10 coaches that are difference makers. Maybe less on average. And unless you get those guys nothing matters.

They have the connections, the money, the NCAA approval to work outside the system.

I just don’t think Mario is one of them.

I don’t think Mario is a difference maker a la Saban or Kirby Smart with the bankroll Georgia boosters have given him. However, I do think Mario is competent enough to make Miami a formidable program for a long time. I see him being able to accomplish at least what Dabo has done at Clemson which started by transforming the roster. Mario like Dabo is a talent acquirer; they are not tacticians or schematic geniuses…and that’s okay.

Mario’s success had little to do with Kelly’s success previously. Mario took over for a program that needed to be rebuilt when Taggert took it over for that 1 year. When Mario took over for Taggert, the job wasn’t done. It wasn’t remotely close to being done. Mario clearly took a step down in program prestige and national recognition when he left Oregon to coach at Miami.

I’m not necessarily riding nor dying with Mario, but the Mario we have today due to his time at Alabama and the work he did at Oregon is a much better product than anything we’ve had here since Butch. Like Butch, Mario will bring in talent. Hopefully - unlike Butch - Mario sees his build through to the end.

2 Likes

Yea- I just meant that Kelly’s success put the program on the national stage and opened up wallets from boosters. It provided a lot of support a coach needs to be successful.

I like the Mario-Butch comparison, same with Mario-Dabo.
Not everyone is a Saban or a Smart.
Gone are the days where you have some legendary coaches at a program for many years. Again, the Sabans and Smarts, and Dabo’s are rare.
Mario seems to be one of “those” guys though. He’s home. He’s hungry. He’s no dummy, he knows what’s at stake. His coaching legacy rides on making Miami great again.

1 Like