Dawson, It Is

He was one of the rumored guys. Seems to be a good OC/QB Coach, fairly pass-oriented but somewhat balanced so hopefully, the Gattis days of stubbornly running into a stacked line and then throwing a 2 yard pass before punting again are over.

Good results overall aside for one year, 2015 at Kentucky under Stoops. Not sure how much of the problem was him since he inherited a staff and players. He didn’t move the offensive productivity needle much one way or the other, but neither did the next guy in 2016.

Obviously, Miami doesn’t have championship caliber personnel yet but hopefully Dawson will be more Lashlee than Gattis/Enos in terms of points.

Dawson seems like the kind of OC that receivers and QB’s would want to play for.

It seems, with his latest coordinator choices, Mario has decided to enter the world of modern football. We’ll see.

2 Likes

I actually like this hire.

Not a fan but hope the mix of his Air Raid with Mario run focus creates some magic. Now they need to land some dudes from the portal at WR.

I’ve never heard of the guy but Houston’s offense was always pretty good.
I think a good OC will come in and scheme to what we HAVE not what we THINK we have.
Seems like a hire that could be here for a few years, same with our DC.
A guy like Briles, for example, could easily be gone in a year. We need some continuity on our staff for once.

Neutral on the hire…Like that his teams ran better before he got with Holgerson. They ran poor Tune into the ground this year at UH but RBs were hurt and OL wasn’t as good last year.

Balance is the key.

Was pretty neutral on Gattis, but liked the flash and the '21 Mich offense and hoped he learned from Harbaugh.

Dawson has been in charge of both good and mediocre offense and I don’t think Cristobal would hire a guy if he thinks there wasn’t a chance for physicality.

Cautiously optimistic. He’ll definitely have the best OL he’s ever had.

Good point stork…I concur.

Both recruiters from the boot originally

And that’s still an area where you can find dawgs (and underrated ones a that)…Can’t hurt.

And Dawson has been in Houston for a while now so that doesn’t hurt.

Just watched a bit of Houston v. Memphis from last year.

Dawson throws A LOT! … It was almost like watching a Leach team. So, everyone who wanted an up tempo, spread scheme will be happy. Runs enough to keep the defense honest.

Baxa was their FG kicker and he inexplicably shanked one from about 20 yards. He still sucks.

The more I read about Dawson, the less I like the hire.

Shannon Dawson has seen almost no success without being hitched to Dana. His Kentucky offense got him fired in one season and his time at Southern Miss. sent him packing back to Holgo’s Red Bull stained bosom. In 10 seasons as an FBS OC, he’s had two years above 51st in SP+ (‘12 and ‘22).

Some of that is holgerson

And they ran more in '21. Like I said had some injuries and youth this season.

I’m kind of meh on the hire. I think all the years of failure with this program has left me with a “show me on the field” mentality. I don’t get too excited for anything in the off-season anymore.

3 Likes

This guy seems rather mediocre to me. Put me in being from Missouri on this one. Show me. Just glad Mario had the cojones to dump Gattis rather than following the example of Al Golden who mistakenly retained D’nofrio who led Miami into a state of defensive perdition. Let’s hope Van Dyke’s confidence has not been irreparably eroded. Hoping Dawson can engender the kind of confidence that Lashlee had with his players.

What I want to see that I haven’t seen in years is a Miami offense that displays consistent poise in its execution. Judging the poise of a team is a good indication of coaching talent. I also particularly want to see some progress development of Jacurri Brown which I didn’t see last year. Gattis was really awful.

THIS IS WHAT HE BELIEVES IN WHICH IS THE END GAME……

NAME COACHES THAT DIDN’T PRODUCE AT BAMA?

REVOLVING DOORS……

JUST SAY THIS TURNOVER WAS TALKED ABOUT AT JOB 1….

There were potential coordinator hires that would have gotten me excited. He isn’t one of them…BUT…Houston had some offense for sure. He does bring some interesting pass concepts, a degree of competence, and it isn’t Gattis or Coley.

I give the hire a B/B- and I have to think he effectively convinced Cristobal that they will still have a place for tight ends physicality. I give Guidry a solid A- hire.

Note I gave Gattis B+ and said it was good for flash and recruiting, and I was miserably wrong. My point was, someone was giving Josh Gattis a bigger paycheck very soon. I can’t understand how a guy that worked with Harbaugh for a few years could be that bad…At the same time I heard grumblings before the season (and you could see it with more smash mouth in '21) that Harbaugh was taking a bigger role. It definitely looks like that was the case

Again I would have given Gattis a pass, and with all the injuries…I didn’t expect a top 35-40 offense. But what we saw…and the adjustments we didn’t see. And then when you hear about his pompous arrogance. Well…BYE

I don’t understand why it took 2 months (and then what, 2.5 weeks since Gattis gone?) to come up with Shannon Dawson? And I never understood Cristobal’s infatuation with Jason Candle (I get it, I don’t mind the guy and I like the style of the Toledo offense). But come on, waiting that long?

Finally I would have preferred Seth Litrell as a realistic name (Kevin Johns and others were obviously preferred) over Dawson.

There are some things to like about Dawson and he’s been doing this a while. Whatevs…Let’s go!

1 Like

I don’t fully understand you here…Can you elaborate? Job 1? But his first hires ended up being a fail.

THIS IS WHAT HE BELIEVES IN WHICH IS THE END GAME……

I hear ya Storm…But honestly at the coordinator positions…Give me someone who can coordinate a f**king offense please. Recruiting imo is for position coaches and the head guy. I’m not saying they can’t recruit obviously and it isn’t a plus when they do, but not that expense of acumen.

I like:

Air Raid, experience at different schools, young guy, resume with some QB/WR coaching

I don’t so much like:

Mediocre record with limited success, perhaps too much of a generalist

Overall, I’m with the camp that says prove it. This hire can go either way. I’m looking forward to more success passing the ball, but I’m not convinced this guy has a vision and can build a successful offense from scratch.

2 Likes

HIS FIRST HC JOB……

THAT IS WHAT HE BELIEVES……

COORDINATING ISN’T DOING ANYTHING WITHOUT PLAYERS….

WHEN YOU BUILD THE TALENT YOU CAN BRING A WHOLE NEW STAFF WITH A FIRST YEAR COACH AND WIN (SEE WHAT HE LEFT AT OREGON)….

Correct me if I’m wrong but Gattis wasn’t first choice was he? I forget the rumored names but his wasn’t number one, I don’t believe?
I liked the Steele hire for sure.

It doesn’t “look” good for Mario to lose both his DC and OC and QB and LB coach in one year. I get this happens but after year 1? Although I do agree that Gattis had to go it would have been interesting to see Strong as DC. He obviously wanted it.

It’s a wait and see for me as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in a wait-and-see on Mario tenure. A little less excited this year than last year. Just looking at big picture things, a few ‘red flags’:

1. Assembled a staff focusing on recruiting…and 1 year later apparently firing half the staff for not recruiting well. Kinda hard to square that. I didn’t think we were hiring a first year HC?
  2. Having SUCH a disastrous experience with Gattis. How was this a blind spot given the guy has been coaching for years and Mario has worked closely with people who worked closely with Gattis. Did he not do background? Did guys like Locksley lie to him and pump up Gattis? Were they honest and Mario blew off their assessment?
  3. Takes way. too. fucking. long to hire people. Jesus. It took nearly 3 months for him to hire coordinators last year. Did such a bangup job in that hiring process that he’s doing it again a year later. The “looking for a coach” season is taking longer than the actual football season. If you’re gonna “fire” frequently (or employees leave frequently), you have to hire quickly. Otherwise, you’re spending 25% of the year without a full staff, and losing the productivity that goes with it.

I dunno. This last year has been concerning. Looking like he may be a perennial 9-win coach because he keeps kneecapping himself. Frustrating.

1 Like

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess Dawson wasn’t either.

I like the hire because 1. It’s different and 2. It seems like we’ll try to spread and use our personnel better.