Current Up to Date Team Needs for '25 Class (not as clear an exercise as it used to be with twice-a-year-portal activity)

Assuming (likely incorrectly that there isn’t further “surprise” or “unwanted” portal attrition, dismissals, etc)

Remaining portal needs next day or two and then spring
WR- Definite, but not urgent, and only if you find a #1 with size. We have talent and depth, we lack a Colbie Young right now
CB- I’m not sure the staff views it this way, though…especially after adding a proven nickel like Powell from Washington. This becomes urgent if Damari Brown follows his brother and the recent AH contingent to FSU.

Outside Chance of Spring/Summer portal
RB, TE, DT, OL (only if definite starter material for these falls in their lap…The O-line would be an exception, the player would have to be a big talent and have at least a couple yrs eligibility remaining)…

As of now I would guess 1-2 TOTAL ADDITIONAL from the portal. Anything else would be based on if we lose someone we didn’t want to lose.

MOVING FORWARD…Next year’s class
Serious Need: QB
Definite Need: CB, S, OL
Stack Talent: DE, TE, DT, LB, WR
Can Be Picky and Get Right One: RB

Obviously portal, position changes (where do Spencer, Day, Pickett, Blount etc, end up)…will change this. Although I think we are only slightly better than the end of the season, where I think we are DEFINITELY better is depth. There are really no glaring weaknesses right now on this team other than needing QB talent for the future.

Thus as a starting point for next year’s numbers…I would see
QB 1 maybe 2
RB 1
WR 3
TE 1 maybe 2
OL 5 maybe 4
DT 2
DE 2 maybe 3
LB 2 maybe 3
CB 3
S 2 maybe 3

As of the moment, the most likely portal help for NEXT season…In this order
QB
DE

CB
WR
TE
S

Well apparently we are going to look at a portal OL…And not the long-term play I was expecting if we did go to the position

Washington starting guard Nate Kalepo on campus right now. Staff may not be quite as high on McCoy as some of us assumed.

Good write up but, yeah, hard to do a really “good” in depth write up based upon College FA and NIL.

I really hope the NCAA looks at this portal mess and cleans it up…Just one portal opening and then once you transfer to one school you have to sit out a year if you choose to transfer again the following year. I think the latter makes it more of a “committment” than just allowing kids to go from school to school from year to year with no guidelines in place.