Class of 2024 Grades

Focusing on mainly high school…While just touching on portal. And this is more of a fitting process imo…Because for the most part, UM is using the portal to patch holes and focusing on experienced players.

QB B…Anderson has a big arm, and his stock rose over senior season
— With Portal, A…Cam Ward was a top 3 portal available arm. He and Van Dyke are similar at their best, but Van Dyke’s highs and lows just couldn’t be tolerated anymore. TVD and a refusal to kneel basically cost us a season.

RB B+…I’m higher on CWH than most. Kid is a big play waiting to happen, although I think there is a small chance he moves to CB or even WR. For now I think he is a very nice change of pace RB prospect and has the frame to end up 200+. Riley would have made this a solid A, but even while saying that, I think it is only a slight drop-off from him to Lyle.

WR A…Sure Jeremiah Smith would have been huge. But UM still a hit home run here and met their numbers with 3 of the top ehhh 15 WR prospects in the nation. There’s always a chance Trader moves to CB, but he’ll get his 1st look at WR.

TE B+…I think Lofton is a versatile, very good player here. Could have probably fit another one, and we finished in 2nd or 3rd for couple good ones but glad we didn’t reach. Especially because we may be more of a 25-35 TE reception offense and 40 + TE reception offense.

OL B…I think Markell Bell can be very very good, possibly this year…Definitely next. If I absolutely had to call it I preferred Broussard to Plazz as a developmental prospect. Honestly, my opinion doesn’t matter much here…We are in good hands with CMC/Mirabal at this position.
— WITH PORTAL B+…Canes add a probable starter at Center with Carpenter.

DT A… I will include Blount here, although he may start his career outside. I just hope he isn’t rushing things by re-classifying. Scott is a top 2-3 DT. Artavius Jones is a little more raw, but is crazy athletic on tape for a big man.
---- With Portal A+. We fill the need for next year with a proven starter in Clark, and a player that will contribute in Cook, who has more prerequisite size than last year’s Sun Belt portal DT Gore.

DE A… I think Pickett ends up here, and I’ll include him here even though CMC says he starts at WLB. Alot of our outside players have similar responsibilities regardless of position. He and Lighfoot absolutely lit up all-star games. The rumor is Rudolph may need a year in juco but this hasn’t been confirmed just yet. Along with McConathy this is a monster haul by J.Taylor
——With Portal A…We add Alston, an ex Guidry pass rusher from Marshall who should be in the top 4 of our rotation and give the youngsters time to develop

LB A-…Doesn’t include Pickett who may end up here or at least start out here… Love both of what we got. Shavers supposedly didn’t grow any further and didn’t show enough senior year. The fact CMC can drop a Central kid in December and still land Blount, and be leading for 3-4 Central kids this year, shows that a professional is running the show nowadays.

CB: B… Addae has been somewhat average so far, at least compared to what we’ve done at other positions. I’m including Day here, although he could also get a look at safety. He seems like a natural nickel and I think is a top 3-4 underrated kid in this class. Mack had a big senior year and is the kid I can see either outside or nickel. Frederique is more of an outside prospect has a lot of fans from some message board guys I respect, but is kinda raw. Can make the argument we needed one stud outside corner type (The Mincey miss hurt, especially because he is at Miami right now if Saban would have left 2 weeks earlier).
___With Portal: B+ Powell is a very good get here…And can contribute at nickel or safety. Has played outside corner in his career as well, but I don’t think he improves us there. He is a playmaker with plenty of big game experience, although he can be a bit sloppy as a tackler.

S: B+…Zaquan Patterson looks like a complete stud, and a potential leader of this defense. Made play after play against an elite schedule. He is viewed as a box safety, but the ball skills and speed are there that he may be able to play FS as well. Isaiah Thomas tore an ACL junior year, and then re-injured the knee his senior year (no idea the severity of the senior injury) ….He looks the part with an NFL type frame, but is a question mark off the injuries. Day may end up here, and has excellent ball skills.
------WITH PORTAL A-…The staff targeted Riley very early, and he held his own as a young player in the SEC. Landing him has a little more effect on the overall grade because unlike the majority of our portal guys, he has 3 years left. Doesn’t have the rating or star power (Vandy effecT), but the staff was on him heavy the moment he entered the portal.

Overall HS Class Grade A

Portal Grade: A-, obviously Cam Ward is a huge part of that…And Powell was a big late add with some star power. Can improve if we land a big-timer WR…Or a CB, although it doesn’t seem like the staff is actively pursuing a corner at this time.

Overall Recruiting Grade Both Combined for 2024 = A-. A little better corner class or a true stud portal corner probably gets me at least to an A, and a surer thing at QB (In all fairness Dawson has loved Anderson since day one) may even push an A+.

All in all at this time I believe our 2 deep has improved since the end of the season (not a massive improvement, but a definite small improvement)…And I believe our 85 is definitely much better right now, especially after we trim some more fat this spring.

1 Like

Great assessment, Skeeter. I think your comment about CWH is an accurate forecast of a kid capable of being a human highlight reel. I like him on offense unless we find ourselves dreadfully in need of CBs.

I love this kid Zaquan. IMO, he’s one of the top 10 HS players in the country. His films are off the chart.

It will be interesting watching Maconathy. He played like a terror in South Alabama. This kid has an unstoppably motor. He should have had another star affter his name.

1 Like

Great write up. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

We seem STACKED at DE…so much so that it makes me wonder who we may lose in the spring once rotations start to take place?

Finally, we are hitting on some DT talent.

I agree on the CB and WR needs…would love to get a lock down corner for sure.