Ball State

There was a long delay before the game. Miami got it rolling and dominated the game.

I think this also but we may be in the minority. We’ll find out soon if it’s overblown or not.

I also found this a little troubling. In watching the game, it was clear the run game was not getting the yards and the o-line was not getting the push it needed. Granted, Ball State was crowding the LOS. Thankfully Ward was able to exploit this with an effective passing game.

To me, the roster looks much better than when Diaz was fired. A lot more talent now, much deeper.

Another class or two like the last couple of classes and Miami should really be something.

Looks like Williams will definitely be the starting QB next year unless Miami finds someone better in the portal.

Allen should get more touches. He had a ridiculously good game.

All in all, the team looked very good, not perfect but vastly improved over Mario’s two full years at Miami, in December it will be 3 years since he was hired.

USF has a decent team and it is an away game. Hopefully, Miami shows up to play.

Ball State, though not a talent laden team, is nevertheless rather stout against the rush,

If I have a criticism of Miami, it is the lack of production from our running game. More work has to be done to enhance deception. More two back formations should be employed, always when in the redzone. We had only 22 yards rushing during the entire first half of the Ball State game. That is unsatisfactory.

If you want to see a great rushing offense, tune into a New Orleans Saints game. They’re incredibly deceptive New offensive coordinator Klint Kubiak has the Saints first in offense among NFL teams after two weeks of play. With improved offense and Head Coach Dennis Allen’s defense, the Saints have taken a huge step forward.

Keep in mind we were down 3 starters once Cooper got injured. And I’d argue Rivers and Cooper are our two best OL. Both expected back Saturday.

I literally said this at the top of this thread when the game was live. :slight_smile:

You certainly did say that, TMC, and I repeated your astute observation.

Ward/Restrepo’s comment is also a salient one. Cooper has played some excellent football for us and has been one of the most durable lineman. His presence was certainly missed.

Ward put on a clinic as our QB. While Ball State was stubborn against the rush, they had no answer for Ward. Our wide receivers were also splendid. George reminded me of watching
Davonta Smith at Alabama. Arroyo is some kind of stud at TE, and Dawson is using his TEs this year, a refreshing development in contrast to last year…

Our next game is more challenging. South Florida is well coached, and their scheme gave Alabama all they could handle, but IMO, Ward is a far better QB than Alabama’s Milroe.

1 Like

I wondered the same thing. Horton seems to get more time than him. Coaches will say stuff like trying to utilize players to maximize what they do best, yadda yadda. But maybe he’s just not as good as the other guys?