And yet another bowl loss

CMCMC - Coach Mario “Clock Management” Cristobal needs to lean how to manage a clock. Ending that game with two TOs is absurd.

Dawson needs to go. Abysmal play calling.

It’s going to be a loooooong off-season…

After watching the first quarter, I think Miami then should have just forfeited. There was no need to play the rest of the game. It was obvious that Rutgers would win the contest. Jacurri had a few moments, and he is, I think, a tad better than Emory, but Emory is really awful.

The game was a woeful spectacle. If Miami does not bring in a QB for next year, I see no improvement even with a tremendous recruiting class. Hate to say it, but our team is poorly coached on offense. Clock management certainly wasn’t solved following the Georgia Tech fiasco. The team lacks poise in its execution. Apparently, Dawson doesn’t believe in motion or using TEs. Ball handling is amateurish almost without any hint of deception; Miami on offense fools nobody. Mario blows as a game day coach. Dawson should be fired.

Looking forward, I am hoping Mario will allow Artavius Jones to play on both sides of the ball. This kid has basketball-like coordination, soft hands, great speed for his size, and will probably on entering UM already will be the team’s strongest player. Artavius, a high schooler, has benched 400 lbs. In high school at Blountstown here in the Florida Panhandle, aside from defensive tackle, Artavius has played both TE and fullback on offense. In my mind’s eye, I see Artavius lined up as a fullback inside of the red zone. He’d be a Godzilla-like blocker, a bruising ball carrier, or even a good receiver. Other than Zaquan Patterson, Artavius is my favorite recruit. I’d love to see him as a big dog fullback knocking people down as if they were bowling pins.

We were missing 10 starters. Not including Fletcher and Chaney. Rutgers had top QB, top RB, top WR, top tackler.
Not defending Mario, but today wasn’t his worst job.

Not sure why everyone is down on Emory. Kid apparently has super high football IQ.

Cam Ward transfer is looking very suspect at this point. He visited 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Whatever happened to Miami’s Special teams ?? Yeesh !

1 Like

We haven’t had that kind of special teams since early 2000s.
We don’t block punts or FGs anymore. Returns in general have lost value across football. Average starting position on KO returns is the 26. Given that touchbacks or fair catch is the 25, risk may outweigh benefit.

I will start by saying that I still believe in Mario. He is a top 3 or at least top 5 recruiter in the country. His game management skills need work. If I were him I would spend some time with a Jimmy Johnson type of guy and ask for some wisdom and advice on game day coaching…

Looking back at our history of coaches it would seem to me that the last REAL winner of a coach was Dennis Erickson. Butch followed and built a great team. Coker had the keys to the Porsche and then the wheels fell off. Good OC but not a good HC. Shannon couldn’t get it done. Al Golden, who knows how he would have done if not for the NCAA mess? Richt, past his prime, big name, but won some big games. He wouldn’t have the energy for today’s college football. Diaz? Again, who knows? Let’s see how he does at Duke. And now, Mario…

I don’t live in Miami, I live in Virginia, but there just seems to be something lacking “in the water” at the U. It used to be THE destination and then around 2003 or 2004 it just became a dumpster fire. None of the “big name” coaches, to my knowledge, have shown much interest when the jobs have come open. Why? What’s missing? Cardale Jones posted on X that the U has the worst game day/stadium experience and he doesn’t know why kids want to come here. Any ideas from some of you locals?

I still maintain that we won’t be the U again until we get a stadium MUCH closer to campus and create an atmosphere that rivals or exceeds what we had at the OB. We play too far from campus and in a stadium that’s too big for us. Build a 55k stadium, display the trophies, put up the ring of honor, etc…and build some traditions other than blowing the smoke.

No way we should have lost against Rutgers…depleted team or not. No way. Sad. Until we get some on field leaders like we did back in the day then it will just be the same year in and year out.

Cam Ward reminds me of the folks who come on to shark tank…we made a great offer and now he’s considering all options because he knows how needy we are at QB. It would seem it’s Cam Ward or bust for us?

Well, season 2 is over. Let’s see how season 3 plays out on the staff and on the field. Agreed on Dawson, not fond of the playcalling.

1-12 in last 13 bowls

2 Likes

This has so little to do with the primary issues that have plagued us the last two decades…bad QB’s and bad coaches.

QB’s…we haven’t had a single QB even make a backup roll in the NFL. Some QB’s are “college qb’s” that aren’t built for the NFL…we haven’t had those either! There are some great 6’ college QB’s and we have never recruited that guy opting for “prototype”.

Coaches…don’t need to say much here. The sheer lack of creativity and optimizing for the talent on the roster had been terrible. Awful lack of development. Some really bad coordinators/assistants. When Randy Shannon has by far the best coaching staff something is off.

The stadium is not an issue. I’d have it about 89th on my list of shortcomings the last 20 years.

Every day I wake up and expect to hear Miami found a QB in the portal and every day doesn’t happen. Think we are looking at our #4 or #5 options at best now. Cristobal is supposed to be the best at closing the deal. So when the deal doesn’t get closed, well…

Here’s a list of all active NFL QB’s that are from Florida.

We never had a chance with any of these guys. Don’t remember us ever being close.

We do a terrible, terrible job identifying home grown talent at QB. Just awful.

We finished #2 for Brissett

The whole nation nation wanted Stafford, including UM. UM recruited Richardson…He didn’t go to HS in South Florida.

Not arguing your point, just pointing out some we did recruit.

Stafford was born in Florida but is a product of Texas since he played high school football there.

I will always maintain .." Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl ! " .

Miami doesn’t need the guy EVERYBODY WANTS…Miami should be looking for a guy who an agressive OC needs. Right now Miami does not have an agressive OC. His schemes fool NO ONE. His plays are basically " ham & eggs" and you could grow and harvest pineapples in the time it takes for them to develop.

If there is more to Dawson then we are all waiting to see it.

1 Like

Yup

No idea why I left that part out when…When I talked about his recruitment.

It doesn’t even matter if they came from Florida. Obviously Lamar and Teddy were huge misses. I would even say Quinton Flowers is a miss.

There have just been so many bad offers. Chasing stars to some extent.

2 Likes

I’m not advocating that a stadium near campus is THE answer but it can make a big difference.

Mario is an excellent, elite recruiter but even the best miss out and can’t close all the deals. An elite lawyer doesn’t win every case.

I’m not sure why we can’t land a QB. We had the same issue at DT until this year. Who knows?

I have always maintained that without ON FIELD leadership it doesn’t matter who we get on the field, who our HC is, who our OC is, who our DC is…without ON FIELD leaders, like the old days, then nothing really changes. That’s why Mario is working so hard on changing the culture.

Not sure what the core issues are right now…

The point is we’re in Florida. And we’re never in contention for the guys who go pro. Never.

Certainly makes it painful.

And as for the bowl loss. It’s really shameful how terrible the postseason has been. Add to that the opt-outs. The games are more worthless and less exciting than ever imo.

Still hoping things get better. Sorry for the negativity.

When was the last time a team started its 3rd string QB and was down 6? of its best starters from the regular season and won its bowl game??? I’m guessing never.

TVD should have stayed to play the bowl game. Kind of a jerk move not to IMHO.

Meaningless game. Oddsmakers had Miami losing narrowly, they lost narrowly. Brown is a JAG.

Miami with a good QB next year will be a 9+ win team. Hopefully, they land Ward or someone comparable.