A Truly Outrageous Prediction

Let it not be forgotten that when Saben left the Dolphins to take over at Alabama, it was yours truly who predicted that the Tide would become National Champions. Many scoffed at that prediction when I made it, and I myself was prepared to eat some crow had the Tide’s advance faltered. But, the Tide won it, and bikki228 was basking in obnoxious pride. Nothing ameliorates one’s worth as a pundit than being first in recognizing an underdog.

Now, I am going out on a limb again, and I am making a prediction that might even wake up some of the lifeless posters on this board. The National Championship this year will be won by the Florida State Seminoles.

Not enough defense imo…Would need a lot to bounce right.

While I agree that FSU’s defense may be somewhat suspect, championships are no longer won on defense. The most successful coaches both in the college game and pro game earn their stripes on the offensive side of the ball. Even the rules of the game have changed giving demonstrably greater advantage to the offense. FSU is going to put up a lot of points this year with a multi-dimensional offense featuring a formidable passing game and an excellent rushing attack.

It seems to me FSU is just a step ahead of the Canes. In fact, Norvell IMO is outrecruiting Mario which is quite an achievement since Mario is an excellent recruiter. For the Canes, this coming season, most importantly, we must see the return to previous form by Tyler VanDyke. At the same time, Miami needs to improve its rushing game which I think has been a failure the last couple years. The great teams at UM indeed had superb passing games, but they also had powerful rushers who went on to become NFL stars.

Unless it’s the portal being used to retool the roster, then they’re not there yet. They’ve been around the mid-20s and lower teens in their last three classes. That won’t get them to the Alabama, Georgia level on the field. Can anyone tell us what they’ve done on the transfer front the last year or two? In the end, it all seems to come down to what you pull in from the high schools and it better be the same as what UGA, Alabama and OSU are pulling in or you can forget about it. Their schedule probably allows them to build up their record this year but make sure you don’t just assume they’re really good. College football tends to be very humbling when you’re trying to get to a place you’ve not seen in some time. We’re going to have to go through it too and that’s if we can start beating teams that we should.

FSU was 9-3. They beat UF by a TD and LSU by a missed XP. I’m thinking they’re not quite what they’re being portrayed to be just yet. We’ll see but again, don’t let the record fool you - the ACC slate and games vs. Southern Miss and N. Alabama will help aid their cause.

I think FSU is more than just one step ahead of us. I put them 2-3 steps ahead of us. Remember the butt whoopin’ we got last year??

I think UNC is a step ahead of us.
I think Clemson is four steps ahead of us.

Our goal? Win against the Middle Tenn. States then we can worry about the big dogs.

A team can rise up fast due to NIL and the portal. I think FSU is going to outscore a lot of teams this year. I think my NC prediction has a tinge of credibility. I think it’s safe to say we at UM are getting outbid on some recruits. There seems to be a wealth of skilled players but the big bodies are more scarce and commanding larger incentives. Not much chance of second tier programs getting to the top. I hate this time of year, constantly being disappointed by the vagaries of youthful athletes.

FSU has a ton of talent on offense. Landing Deon Coleman from Michigan State is huge. The only question mark is the offensive line. Defensively fsu scheme and personnel will probably be around top 20-25 which may or may not be good enough. Their season hinges on two things - 1) Jordan Travis health. 2) they play lsu and Clemson within the first four games. They have to at worse split. They lose both games their season is some.

My biggest concern - 17-18 of their 22 starters are from the portal. If they lose one or both of those games do those players mentally check out.

Bikki, the two tackles Miami signed last cycle both have the chance to be 1st round picks. The Defensive end Miami just landed gives them another stud. Miami has sec level defensive ends in their two deep.

3 Likes

The most important game on the Hurricanes schedule is Texas A&M. I think A&M probably thinks the same about playing the Canes. Miami has a chance of going 5-0 going into the more difficult 2nd part of its season. Putting a licking on A&M will be a big confidence builder. In my mind’s eye, I envision the Van Dyke of old while at the same time I see our offensive line gashing the opposition and our rushing game finally being productive. Under Lashlee, we saw what a Miami offense could do. Now, we should see a formidable passing game improved by a ground game that will command the respect of opposing defenses.

1 Like

Doubt it…Probably more focused on SEC which can help us.

FSU should be very concerned. They have to keep Jordan healthy and OL is a weakness. If they drop games to both LSU and Clemson, I could see them dropping a 2-3 more.

17 LSU FSU 38

Yikes! Honestly, LSU looks exhausted. They were winning this thing 14-7 and now have been dogged 31-3 since. The Clemson game is huge. Who else will threaten them? UF’s bad. We’re rebuilding and I don’t know how long we stay with them. A conference title game could mean Clemson again though. We’ll have to see how it plays out. They look good, especially up front. Their DL actually has won this for them tonight. LSU could do nothing up the middle on this team. We thought their offense would carry the Noles but LSU hasn’t had an answer for the FSU D front.

FSU just beat a GOOD LSU team, they’re on their way to a national championship, and here’s why. First, they have an excellent QB who makes good decisions and is mobile. FSU already had Johnny Wilson who stand 6’7" and they brought in Keon Coleman from Michigan who is 6’4" and is a basketball leaper. Nobody has a secondary that can match the FSU passing attack.

Another chief reason for FSU being dominant is Coach Norvell. Norvell called a brilliant game. In the second half, he came out with a two RB backfield and played option football. It was a thing of beauty, something the Hurricanes ought to try; I have always hated a one back offense.

On defense, FSU exerts enormous pressure on the QB. Their defense certainly stood tall keeping LSU inside the 5 yard line out of end zone for six plays.

Norvell has out recruited everybody building this team, and I am going to make another outrageous prediction. When the final recruit is signed in this year’s recruiting battle, neither Georgia nor Alabama will be the recruiting champions. FSU will come out of nowhere and have the No. 1 recruiting class.

It’s week 1. Let’s all relax. You don’t know shit in college football until week 4/5.

1 Like

Really? If WE had done this to LSU tonight how do you think we’d be reacting? Go look at the FSU schedule. Who’s beating them? UF? Please! BC, Duke, Syracuse, Wake, VT, Pitt, Southern Miss, N. Alabama? Us? I think we’ll be better but not up to where the Noles are. Clemson better get 'em or else!!

I won’t call them the national champions yet but a spot in the last four is on the table if they’re able to take down Clemson. If they’re in the last four, you just don’t know based on draw and how good those three teams could still be but FSU seems on their way to a year! Will '23 be like '13 was when Jameis emerged? Not sure, but again, watch out.

1 Like

We’d all be overreacting.

And I’m not saying that FSU didn’t play well or isn’t a good team. I’m just saying that I prefer to wait a few weeks before deciding who’s a real one and who’s a fake. Takes time.

4 Likes

Agree. Teams are often way overrated early in the season so beating a given team early on may not mean much downstream.

FSU has a very good team, certainly Top 20, maybe even Top 10 or Top 5. I doubt Miami will beat them this year.

This is year four for Norvell, after two mediocre 3 and 5 win seasons in his first two years, he went 10-3 last year and seems likely to win 10+ games this year. Just goes to show that a team can be turned around fairly quickly. I guess that should give us some hope Miami can do something similar by year three of Mario.

2 Likes

What happened to FSU at BC. Some idiot in this forum picked them to win the NC. Their next game is against Clemson. Do you suppose they were looking ahead. They looked terrible against BC.

Final scores for Georgia and Alabama games are surprising too.