Miami vs BC Game Thread

I saw him drop his sandwich wrapper.

Finally some real QB pressure from the D.

Concerned about Miami defense versus the quick pass.

STORM IS NOT WATCHING……

GAME 1 AGAINST A PRACTICE SQUAD IS NOT FOR JUDGEMENT EXCEPT MAYBE FOR IVEY……:joy:

Blockquote

1 Like

It seems like Ivey has been in the team for 10 years.

Team looks good. Penalties are way down. Defense gives up too many big plays, but hopefully that gets ironed out. The big question is how our lines perform against a real team.

3 Likes

10 TD’s

If we’ve learned anything over the years we’ve learned that you can’t take anything from these scrimmages. This doesn’t tell you a single thing about how good or bad Miami is.

This game means nothing.

It’s equivalent to a high school scrimmage. Don’t get anyone hurt.

3 Likes

Bethune Cookman

I was dissapointed as hell with our defense today. We seriously gave up multiple large chunk plays, our corners got beat, and ZERO contain on many plays. It’s Bethune Cookman, WTF…We also barely hit the qb.

BC’s Qbs were both fast and mobile and avoided pressure rather well due to their athleticism. One QB was really tall making it difficult to block his passes. Their most successful plays were precipitated by quick passes or the QB breaking containment. Several times BC managed to break containment around the ends. We held them scoreless in the second half. Personally, I was disappointed by our pass rush and felt our blitzes were not as productive as I expected.

BC had almost no rush on our QBs who had considerably more time to pass than we should see in upcoming games. Our rushing game was vastly improved from last year, and the offensive line looked better schooled than any Miami line I’ve seen in a decade. Parish is a better than average feature RB with good hands. Franklin exhibited physicality we haven’t seen in quite a while.

Looking forward, I think we need better play at the corners on defense. Too many times, receivers found abundant free space rounding our corners. Execution on offense however was much improved. Winning on first down kept us generally ahead in the down count, and remarkably we had few third and long situations allowing us more versatility in playcalling rather than experiencing third down desperation.

Next we face Southern Miss which lost to Liberty University in a four overtime game. Southern Miss is primarily a rushing team, and their leading rusher has a familiar name Frank Gore, Jr. who rushed for 176 yards against Liberty. UM should be a heavy favorite in the game.

1 Like

My takeaway…Against a team like Bethune=
Not enough Dline pressure, not enough tfl’s, not enough containment, too much getting lost at linebacker and in the secondary. IF we just break this down toan the basics of line up and cover, and your specific job details, things were very ugly at times. Especially against a super low level opponent like Bethune. I shudder to think about what would have happened against App State level opponent with our D yesterday.

NOW, I’ll take a breath and step back. First game, new staff, etc. I just did not expect the D to look that error prone against such a low level opponent.

This game didn’t lower my pessimism very much, especially after watching the Gators-Utah game.

Was not able to watch the game. But air trust we did not start the season with a safety like in years past.